Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amiga 500 upgrade with Vampire 2

Blog Entries

The 500 supply is better then the A1200 supply so people with the 1200's used the 500 supply.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The 500 supply is better then the A1200 supply so people with the 1200's used the 500 supply.
    I bought one of the Mean Well power supplies discussed in this thread. http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=a500+psu You can still find A500 power supply cases pretty cheaply and just replace the electronics.

Now I need to decide what I want to do with my Amiga 2000 power supply, I want to set it up with a Video Toaster card.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    128Mb is NOT sufficient for a high end Amiga. It was just adequate twenty years ago!
    As the owner of a couple of Win7 machines carrying 16 and 32 Gb of RAM I guess I fit the profile. But may I ask: For what purpose or application* is 128 Mb not enough RAM for the Amiga? The (period comparable) Apple SE 30 and Quadra 650, with 68030 CPUs and 32-bit data paths, were limited to 128 Mb as well and they seemed to be considered capable machines for their time.

Compared to the 1 Mb or 2 Mb on my 500s, 128 Mb seems like hog heaven.

-CH-

* "application", not to be confused with "app", and not sold by Apple or Google: a program of computer code usually designed for user input or interaction and toward a specific purpose or goal. Contrast with "game": also a program of computer code but designed to waste the user's time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    As the owner of a couple of Win7 machines carrying 16 and 32 Gb of RAM I guess I fit the profile. But may I ask: For what purpose or application* is 128 Mb not enough RAM for the Amiga? The (period comparable) Apple SE 30 and Quadra 650, with 68030 CPUs and 32-bit data paths, were limited to 128 Mb as well and they seemed to be considered capable machines for their time.

Compared to the 1 Mb or 2 Mb on my 500s, 128 Mb seems like hog heaven.

-CH-

* "application", not to be confused with "app", and not sold by Apple or Google: a program of computer code usually designed for user input or interaction and toward a specific purpose or goal. Contrast with "game": also a program of computer code but designed to waste the user's time and money.
    I never had a "current PC" for doing day to day things. I did everything on my Amiga. And I used it in ways it is capable of but probably most people don't. I did a lot of large audio and image work. And I took full advantage of multitasking. It was not uncommon for me to run out of memory under operating system versions 3.x, but I could get by. However, 128Mb, or in my case 146Mb, was very limiting under 4.x.

Bodega Bay --- Where the Hitchcock film 'The Birds' was filmed?
    Speaking for myself, I can't justify buying a Vampire for what I use my Amigas for...just nostalgia / collection...so aside from additional Ram and CFD as hdd..that is where I stop. Retro can be expensive unless of course you have the $$$... IMO
    CHEERS...