Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Creative Music System / Game Blaster clone

I've managed to install a 10k pot on it, hanging from a few wires. It's not pretty, but I can control the volume, and the distortion was probably coming from the speakers and/or the amp being too loud.
    Initially I was missing some sounds, it seems, but I swapped the SAA1099s for some others, and now it seems perfect!
    So either I have a dodgy SAA1099, or it wasn't seated in the socket properly. I'll have to do some more testing, but I want a pot that fits properly first I ordered some online, they should arrive any day now. Hopefully these will fit

Glad you were able to get the card working and the distortion issues under control. If your SAA1099s came from eBay it is possible that they were pulled from other devices and it is certainly possible to end up with a bad chip that way - or it could just be a bad connection in the socket or a questionable solder joint somewhere as well.

Hopefully you can find a pot that fits within the height constraints of an ISA card/slot. If I had it to do over again, I would have made sure I had an appropriate sized pot on hand before getting the boards made.

Well, the pots I got were indeed too high, so I ended up mounting them in reverse. Sadly, this also reverses the audio taper, so they're really touchy at low volume now. If I just went with linear I wouldn't have had that problem, heh.
    Nevertheless, it works:

And yea, those Bourns PTD90 series would probably have been the perfect size. Perhaps you could update the PCB schematic so that the pinout matches to them? Then if anyone orders another batch, that problem is solved.

One thing I wonder though: where the heck did Creative and others get those 'dial' type pots they used on the Game/Sound Blaster cards? I could not find any of those anywhere.

I did a bit of a hack, which turned out ok:
    I took a smaller pot, used the front-middle pin through the PCB, and bent all the others so that they could be soldered on top of the PCB.
    The result is actually quite nice, and the pot is now accessible from the back of the PC
    WP_20171209_15_06_13_Pro[1].jpg
    This is what I would recommend others to do as well.

Blog Entries

Very nice!

Is the output stereo? Can't tell from the video.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

The output from the card is in stereo. It should be just like the original Creative card unless Creative did something odd like swap the left and right channels or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks! Veovis did a nice job on the PCB!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Is the output stereo? Can't tell from the video.
    It sure is!
    I am currently trying to code a routine to play PCM samples. If that works, you can get stereo digital playback from any SB 1.x/2.0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    I am currently trying to code a routine to play PCM samples. If that works, you can get stereo digital playback from any SB 1.x/2.0
    If you're successful, we should contact the author of Galaxy Player and try to get him to release the source so that we can complete it based on his promise.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)