Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK so far but now what?

No, it's not impossible to upgrade RAM today.

In atari-forum.com and atari-home.de forums you find a nice guy called Lynxman who has easy to install memory upgrades for all ST series machines. In the english forum there is also exxos offering memory updates. And if you have the maximum of 4 MB supported by ST chipset and that is still not enough, then contact AlanH which offers you a card which is called MonSTer. This adds another 8 MB "alternate ram", plus bank switching flash TOS, so you can switch between different TOS versions and you can flash these versions by yourself into the card, and it is having IDE interface, with TOS 2.06 this is even bootable.

There is a lot of interesting hardware for ST arround. You only need to discover.

It's true, basically the ST has GEM in ROM and you can start as simple as this.

But anyhow ST boots from floppy or harddisk.

On the drive you have a folder called AUTO. The ST runs every program inside as soon it has the *.PRG extension. But be carefully, don'<t put GEM applicatiuons (with graphical user interface) there, they will crash, as the GEM system is not initialized at the time the AUTO folder is executed (this is allmost the same as a PC with GEM, all in the ST AUTO folder are things like you do on a PC in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT. The AUTO folder can include things like drivers, patches, OS-enhancements, OS-Replacements (MiNT, Magic, MultiTOS, ...).

Additionally, after AUTO folder has been exectuted and GEM has been startet, GEM autostarts up to 6 "Accessories", these are files in c:\ with the *.ACC extension. They are placed in the DESK menu of the Desktop and upper left pull down menu of each GEM application. They could be things like the CONTROL/XCONTROL.ACC (very recommended as it is the place where you configure a lot of your machine), like calculator, like any kind of tool like fast disk/filecopy accessory and many more.

With TOS 2.06 and newer you can even select one normal application located anywhere on the harddisk. This could be for example a more comfortable desktop like Gemini, Thing, and so on, or you can directly start into your prefered word processor if you are using your ST as a noob's videotypewriter... But any of these apps can be closed and then you are in the standard GEM desktop.
    Last edited by 1ST1; September 28th, 2017 at 11:59 PM.

Thank you for your replies. First task for me is to figure out what I have inside the cases and what shape it is in. I'll have to cobble together a working machine in the meantime but I always like a max configuration and prefer period-correct if possible... I have some very old Atari and 3rd party floppy drives (see attached) and I hear they go bad - belts, usually - and are impossible to repair, so I'll be investigating some sort of drive emulator.

I have opened a lot of cases and learned the hard way not to assume anything about how they are put together or come apart. Some printers and keyboards, for example, rely on plastic clips or hooks that will snap if you pry too hard. For now I'm stumped by getting the Mega apart.

If possible I would like to repair the SC1224 but can run with the SM for now. Found another supplier here: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com; claims to have a monitor adapter cable that allows use of a multi-sync monitor with the ST.

Thanks again,

-CH-

Attachment: Img1.JPG

Neat looking floppy drives. Let me know if you happen to want to sell any of them. Anyway, out of curiosity, do you have the data cable for them? I'm always plugging one into the wrong in/out port on the back and then confused as to why it doesn't work.

I do have the cables. I'm not ready to sell anything. For now these are the only means of entering or saving information or programs with the computers. I understand the drives - early ones, anyway - were belt driven, and that belt stretching or breakage could be a source of problems. I'm investigating other solutions as a consequence.

I managed to get the ST Mega case apart: I found evidence that it had been serviced at some point in the past, but otherwise appeared to be in good order; nothing broken, burned or leaking. Reference tells me the ROM version is 1.2.1. I was wondering if later ROMs were backward-compatible. I found sources for ROM images, and have a burner, but don't know which EPROM to use.

Some of the custom chips are socketed, as is the CPU, but memory is soldered to the board. There are extra traces for more memory (1Mx1, 16 ICs) but the pads have been wave-soldered shut. Is there another solution for memory expansion?

The (internal) power supply is quite small. I don't have any figures on its output, but I would feel more comfortable knowing there was a replacement or upgrade available. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    Yes, Inventronik's Gigafile is also an option (it' can be used on ACSI and SCSI, what makes it also interesting for other SCSI based computers.)

Ultrasatan you find on lotharek.pl. CE is on joo.kie.sk.
    I read that Jookie has stopped selling the CosmosEx (CE) as of June 2017, due to excessive cost of licensing. Too bad, as I think that was the one to obtain. Late again.

-CH-