Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New forum for Intel MDS, Intellec, development tools, ISIS, ICE, etc

Default New forum for Intel MDS, Intellec, development tools, ISIS, ICE, etc

Would the admin consider creating a new forum for Intel development systems - hardware and software.

Including MDS 800, MDS II, MDS III, PDS, ICE-80/85/86, PROM programmers, Intellec 8008, 4/40.
    There's an army of multibus and compatible product vendors over decades.

And software including the ISIS operating system, ASM80, PL/M, Fortran and all the languages and
    utilities.

These systems have a huge backing of available documentation that are being collected and preserved also.

There appears to be several people collecting and preserving these machines which were the foundation
    of the personal computer market. CP/M was even written on an MDS800 and will boot on it unmodified.

s00.jpg

A belated +1 to this request, as I just got my hands on an Intellec MDS-231 and could use some help restoring it.

there is a mailing list with an archive here
    http://lists.brouhaha.com/mailman/listinfo/intel-devsys

Yes, Al; and I am a member. But there are only a few other members, so the pool of expertise is small.

I am the 'Roger' on the brouhaha list.
    I wish the info getting posted there was on this group or some other permanent place to help future strugglers.

Currently restoring an MDS888/800 and an MDS225 booting both ISIS-II and CP/M.

Blog Entries

Well, nothing is preventing you (and other members) from posting relevant info from that mailing list (or the archives) in new threads here as you use that info to fix your machines. Getting more threads on the subject (Intel development systems) will also help in convincing the admins / moderators about the "need" for a new subforum.
    Torfinn

We have quite a few sub-forums for all of the different genres already, so I'm concerned about fragmenting things more.

Would a more general "development systems" sub-forum be more helpful? We want sub-forums to be targeted, but so hyper-targeted such that they don't get any traffic.

Blog Entries

I think that's a good idea--there were quite a few "other" development systems in the MDS-800 era; NSC Starplex, Zilog MCZ, GI GIMINI and whatever the AMC thingie was called, not to mention non-specific platforms, such as Future Data.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I think that's a good idea--there were quite a few "other" development systems in the MDS-800 era; NSC Starplex, Zilog MCZ, GI GIMINI and whatever the AMC thingie was called, not to mention non-specific platforms, such as Future Data.
    It may be a good place for in-circuit emulators as well.
    Tek made combo systems like the 8650/8640 and there was the whole HP 64x00 series.

'modern' things like JTAG, Moto BDM, etc. etc. (BDM isn't very 'modern' any more)

These don't really fit into any existing category, and finding software to support these old
    boxes is extremely difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    GI GIMINI
    wow, someone actually remembered those..

I spent the summer of '78 on Long Island developing code at GI on one