Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Tindie, eBay Disallows Links to Documentation Now

Default Switching to Tindie, eBay Disallows Links to Documentation Now

This was probably inevitable. I received a nastygram from eBay last night, stating that some of my listings were now in violation of their new (as of September) content policy: you're only allowed to link to certain video hosting sites for product reviews, freight billing sites, and "sites required for legal reasons" (I don't know what that means). After wasting an hour of my day on the phone with customer service, I was bluntly told, "sure, we value your business, but not that much" -- even after explaining that some of the links are to GitHub and contain project files for an open source project that are required to build the project (e.g. bare PC boards, where the GitHub project contains the layout and BOM), I was told I'll have to remove the links or my items will be automatically delisted.

So, I set up a Tindie store:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/glitchwrks/

Tindie is a site focused on selling electronics and hobby projects, much of it open source, much of it small projects based on one person's hobby work. They're basically better in all ways than eBay, except they don't have as much viewership and I didn't already have an account set up with them. Not only do they allow links to external sites, they even have bits of their interface specifically for linking to documentation and project source files! Imagine that. Overseas shipping rates are easy to supply, and it's simple to add rules for combining multiple overseas orders (I suspect it's difficult on eBay because they want to send your items through the GSP and make a little more off of you).

New listings for new sellers require admin approval, so items will slowly start showing up. You can currently buy blank XT-IDE boards there.

I'm sure my departure from eBay won't be noticed or missed, but I hope Tindie is visible enough that people still find it. It would be a shame if it went the way of the forums' Marketplace, where there's great stuff listed but no one looks at it.

The fun part of the phone call to customer service was, after I got to an actual in-the-US non call center manager, the manager admitted that he understood the problem and how removing documentation links would make the item basically impossible to sell (who wants a blank board with no BOM and no assembly instructions?!). He also admitted it's because eBay is afraid that someone might sell a $10 item off of eBay once.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    eBay is afraid that someone might sell a $10 item off of eBay once.
    So a site that started out for little guys is now just chasing Amazon's tail.
    fsck 'em. I hope someone who cares about people other than Alibaba flippers gets traction.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    ...So, I set up a Tindie store:...
    Good luck with the new store, Shipping seem's to be a lot cheaper than ebah, ie: for more than 1 item

Currently showing 6 items for me.

For regular items like this, a store makes more sense to me anyway.

Although I hate to think of all the random items that people will stuff in the trash now because it is too much &#^% trying to sell on eBeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Good luck with the new store, Shipping seem's to be a lot cheaper than ebah, ie: for more than 1 item
    Yes, their combined international shipping setup is *so* much better than eBay's -- eBay never once correctly combined shipping for an international order, even though I'd set up rules for it. I'd always have to end up refunding some non-trivial amount to international buyers that bought more than one item. I had someone in France buy some of my 48T02 rework boards, five of them, and eBay charged them something like $60 for international shipping! It's my belief that the international shipping was so messed up only because eBay wanted to make it "difficult," so you'd just use the GSP.

The site has a bunch of what I'd consider major interface improvements over eBay, from complex things like the shipping rate system, down to simple little things like supporting Markdown in the listing editor. Just the problem of community traction, as always.

Outstanding. Hopefully eBay learns a lesson. eBay is great for buyers: horrible for sellers.

Trust me, it is bad for both.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

You are probably better off selling your custom made designs on your own website if you can advertise directly to customers (like from here).

I never had any issue as a buyer on ebay (only sold a few items as a seller so I can't say how good or bad they are).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I like Tindie, and have bought stuff from sellers there on more than one occasion. So, in my book, this counts as good news.
    Torfinn

I'm also disgruntled with eBay's anti-seller policies and if I had more volume to sell I'd use some other site. It's still good if you want to sell common consumer items like an iPhone.

I like being a buyer on eBay and have never had a problem with it, the money back guarantee has always ruled in the buyer's favor, in my experience.

Good luck with your new store!