Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switching to Tindie, eBay Disallows Links to Documentation Now

I have no desire to sell on eBay anymore, despite the fact that I have a large amount of things to sell that only make sense to sell there I guess this stuff will just go to the landfill.

What's irritating me though is how difficult it's gotten to be an eBay buyer lately. I recently had to buy two things which only make sense to buy on eBay, and the process was excruciating to the point of turning me away in the future.

With a serious amount of effort though, I did make out good on at least one item. I turned this junk item http://www.ebay.com/itm/382204035900 into a usable showpiece.

Be polite and I may let you live.

Now you have to learn how to play this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Now you have to learn how to play this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oEsWi88Qv0
    That's an Alpine zither. Completely different to play. Someday I might get one. Everyone says they're much harder to play, but I can hardly believe that. I can play a guitar blindfolded, but not a guitar zither.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    This was probably inevitable. I received a nastygram from eBay last night, stating that some of my listings were now in violation of their new (as of September) content policy: ... I was told I'll have to remove the links or my items will be automatically delisted.

So, I set up a Tindie store:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/glitchwrks/

Tindie is a site focused on selling electronics and hobby projects, much of it open source, much of it small projects based on one person's hobby work. ... [Customer service] also admitted it's because eBay is afraid that someone might sell a $10 item off of eBay once.
    I've been a buyer and a seller on eBay since the '90s, but lately only a buyer, and recently I'm thinking of dropping that like a bad habit. It's not only the increasingly restrictive rules about communication between buyer and seller - which ought to be a given - its the constant barrage of emails from eBay flogging items: "What everyone is buying now!" and "That tea-strainer you once glanced at is ending soon!".

I'll be looking at your new Tindie site. Give it time and it'll grow. Good luck with you new venue.

-CH-

I finally had a chance to look at Tindie's fee structure in detail, and was able to lower prices on a few items. Still cheaper to PM me and buy that way, of course

I finally had a chance to check out Tindie. I really like it. It's basically what me and Patrick Rigney were trying to get going with the Vintage Computer Marketplace (the original) about 15 years ago. That was intended to become THE center for buying/selling/trading vintage computer and related items online, including the modern day products as well as related things like microcontrollers and SBCs that were designed or could be used in vintage computing projects. As is typical with a niche market it was difficult to flog out the business necessary to make it worthwhile commercially while also being involved in all the other projects I was at the time. I'd use Tindie for selling but it doesn't have a vintage category in the flea market. I'd like to advertise my stuff to a broader market because there's so much of it and there's a lot for everyone, but I will simply not transact business with eBay, not buying and certainly not selling, which I stopped doing probably in the mid-2000s when it just became too cumbersome, tedious and unworthwhile financially and spiritually. Same with Amazon. You aren't really selling your stuff so much as "donating" it to Amazon and then they let you sell it according to their terms and if you follow their process and procedure to a T and don't piss anyone off then they give you a cut of your sale. In other words, you lose control when you sell through places like eBay and Amazon, and despite their vast customer base and advertising and all that, they can go straight to heck, by golly.

In the time since the original Marketplace there hasn't really been any good place to sell that is hobby specific except here and the Classic Computers mailing list (not counting at a VCF itself, which is great, literally the best, and I say that as someone who both pioneered them to be that way and now utilizes them as part of my sales strategy). But I wish more people used the Federation Marketplace, like really made an effort to use it. I would use it more but then I'd just be over here spamming the For Sale board with links to my ads, defeating the purpose. The main issue is lack of traffic. It would be nice and could replace eBay (as far as the hobby community goes) if it were to be more widely trafficked. Of the 8 auctions in "Recently Listed", 2 are closed, 1 is incoherent, 1 is ridiculously overpriced, 3 are for ICs, and 1 is for (I kid you not) a Trek mountain bike. I spent all day dealing with inquiries when I was planning to just answer a e-mail or two and continue building my chicken house. It would be so much easier if I could just make listings on the Marketplace and then buyers could buy at their own pace and I could sell and pack and ship at mine...like how a car transmission works. We need a transmission.

Here's a thought: perhaps this Marketplace trading board needs to be shut down to encourage people to use the Marketplace?

Or perhaps this board could take over as the discussion around specific listings, or for buyer questions, much like the current "Spotted on eBay/Craigslist" postings that we have here. The buyers could then interact with the sellers directly. But actual listings for items would be required to be made there, i.e. no more "for sale" messages here.

Anyway, just hoping to spark a flame, maybe start a fire, for enlightened self-interestful purposes. The infrastructure is there, the people are here, we just need to combine them into a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of delicious vintage computer trading, and then start spreading the word that if you want to really get at the source of vintage computers and get the best deals for the best stuff you have just GOT to use the VCFed Marketplace.

Can I get an amen/second/like+share+subscribe/indication of support from anyone?

Did you overlook Amibay?

Got an email from eBay yesterday flogging their "Valet" service: You drop off your stuff at one of their collection centers and one of their "valuation experts" decides how much it should sell for; they make the listing and track the sale; they handle fulfillment and - at some unspecified point later - they send you "up to 80 percent of the sale proceeds."

I agree that there needs to be another venue, but I think that just by changing venues the new site would eventually devolve into another eBay. Much of what is sold on eBay, at least in the vintage computer and accessory market, is purveyed by resellers. Many of these people have no knowledge of their wares and are only concerned with the profit potential: disclaimers such as "untested" and "no returns" frequently appear in their ads. I have nothing against people making a living and apparently eBay is one way to do that. But I want to trust the seller, and on eBay that's getting harder to do. (Examples on request.)

It would be nice if resellers only offered tested equipment and listed its condition with the posting. It works or it doesn't or it works but it shows these red flags, for example. But eBay's only concern is revenue, so they allow these "gray" listings and prohibit communication outside their channel to prevent non-eBay deals. Maybe what we need is some form of certification of resellers?

-CH-

I think there's hope for Tindie in that respect, the current batch of sellers is hobbyists and people supplying hardware to hobbyists. It's run by actual hackers/makers and is associated with Hack a Day. I'm sure if it got big enough, some profit-focused board would end up pushing it toward eBay's approach (max profit at any cost), but I'm pretty sure trying to avoid that is just a matter of periodically having to change venues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Did you overlook Amibay?
    Amibay's rules are incredibly restrictive while providing no more than a rough equivalent of "security theater". As a new user, I found Amibay extremely hostile.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)