Image Map Image Map

Thread: DOS player YM2149F/AY-3-8910 chiptunes for Creative Music System/Game Blaster

Default DOS player YM2149F/AY-3-8910 chiptunes for Creative Music System/Game Blaster

Hello,

Need some help from people who know how AY-3-8910 and SAA1099 PSG chips work and who have some expirience in Z80 assembler.

I read this article: http://www.worldofsam.org/node/670 - describe how play YM2149F music over Sam Coupe computer (contain one SAA1099 chip). Unfortunately, this code ignores the envelope at all. I found other SamCoupe intro source code: http://simoncooke.com/samcoupe/infob...e/infyjoke.txt in which the envelope is not ignored (in procedure play.chip) but my knowledge of the Z80 asm is not enough to understand the program logic.

My sketches of the player (without envelope) source code in attachment. Compile with Turbo Pascal 7.0. Now play .PSG files only (<= 64Kb). In a future i want add support YM (3,4,5,6 packed/unpacked), EPSG, VTX, AY, PT1, PT2, PT3, STC, ZXS, STP, ASC, PSC, SQT, GTR, PSM, FTC, FLS, FXM (RSF,YRG:Custom formats) formats.

Anyone interested?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Looking at the source, you've already got a good grasp of what is needed. Is there any section you're struggling with?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Great work!

Blog Entries

Also, you should reach out to Scali, who might have an interest in adapting his VGM player for this work, especially since he's going to assemble the CMS clone that was recently announced.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

You're going to have a tough time trying to play envelopes without a real SAA chip. No emulator core for this sound chip does envelopes at the time.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

As I recall, the SAA-1099 and the SN76496 have only an 10-bit frequency divider while the AY-3-8910/YM2149 have a 12-bit frequency divider, so the frequencies must be approximated in many cases.
    Last edited by Great Hierophant; October 8th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Your 1099 code looks very familiar... right down to the comments.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM