Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable price to pay for Apple II+? History of this price?

Default Reasonable price to pay for Apple II+? History of this price?

So, I'd love to find an Apple II+.

All the ones I see on eBay recently seem high- several hundred bucks..

I was (perhaps wrongly!) thinking that these things were ubiquitous, and that a decent machine for 100.00 including shipping would be available.
    So, what is a reasonable price for these machines- no monitor needed, just the computer itself. And, has the price gone up significantly recently?

Jason
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Check out my PE6502 single board
    computer kit. putnamelectronics.com
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey1331 View Post
    So, I'd love to find an Apple II+.

All the ones I see on eBay recently seem high- several hundred bucks..

I was (perhaps wrongly!) thinking that these things were ubiquitous, and that a decent machine for 100.00 including shipping would be available.
    So, what is a reasonable price for these machines- no monitor needed, just the computer itself. And, has the price gone up significantly recently?

Jason
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Check out my PE6502 single board
    computer kit. putnamelectronics.com
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding where the prices are heading. $200+ is the norm.
    Apple IIe boxes are still cheap comparatively, but are trending upwards as well.

If you check ebay's completed auctions list, there were a few A2+ that sold recently for ~$100.
    They are still out there, though while searching for these on the bay, you'll just need a lot of patience and luck.
    You know, right place at the right time kind of thing. And wait, wait, wait until you score.
    Or, just spend some extra money and get it NOW! lol

Other places to search are swap meets, better pickings if you are in or close to a large city.
    And of course, craigslist occasionally has a few, maybe cast a larger net and check surrounding areas as well?
    where did the blinky-binkys go?

Ditto on the Craigslist or other places that you might go to locally for sellers in your area. I searched for 'apple' on Craigslist about five months back and came across a garage sale that featured some Apple 2's, both a plus and a plain ][, along with some other items for $45. I had to fix the ][+ (bad chargen chip), but otherwise, both are very nice. Not trying to brag, just a note to say that there are still machines out there at a reasonable price, if you keep your eyes open and are willing to wait a bit.

He had an Apple /// also, but I didn't want to get greedy - yes I know what those are going for on ebay, but I left that behind for someone else to give a good home to.

Quote Originally Posted by Juror22 View Post
    Ditto on the Craigslist or other places that you might go to locally for sellers in your area. I searched for 'apple' on Craigslist about five months back and came across a garage sale that featured some Apple 2's, both a plus and a plain ][, along with some other items for $45. I had to fix the ][+ (bad chargen chip), but otherwise, both are very nice. Not trying to brag, just a note to say that there are still machines out there at a reasonable price, if you keep your eyes open and are willing to wait a bit.

He had an Apple /// also, but I didn't want to get greedy - yes I know what those are going for on ebay, but I left that behind for someone else to give a good home to.
    OK, have to call BS on that one. Come on...

I don't know, I've had a couple of Apple ][+ units given to me for free with just 5 minute repairs needed.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Depends on a lot of factors. Condition. Working, not working. Accessories such a floppy disk drives, language cards, Serial interfaces. Software. Prices start at free and can go well over $500.

Blog Entries

There are over half a million II+ units produced. They are not rare and I personally would not pay more than $100 for a semi decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    There are over half a million II+ units produced. They are not rare and I personally would not pay more than $100 for a semi decent one.
    They weren't rare, but easy availability and low resale value sent many into the dumpster. The ones that remain are in the hands of collectors/enthusiasts who aren't interested in selling. Couple that with the popularity of all things Apple and I wouldn't be surprised to see prices continue to rise.

CW

PS This is not investment advice, don't buy old computers with any expectation of getting rich.

Weren't rare != not rare now.

As noted above, fair price to some extent will of course depend on what it comes with. I recently acquired an Apple IIe for $375 (Canadian). It came with a couple of floppy drives (one Apple, one not), an amber CRT (not Apple), a whole bunch of original manuals (and the original box), a working imagewriter printer, an 80 column card & Z80 softcard, plus some software (though it appears many of the disks aren't readable anymore). Seemed more than fair to me, particularly as it was local so no shipping costs.