Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprised no posts yet on the Atari 800..

Blog Entries

I was almost an ST convert; I even took out membership as an ST developer. (Some years ago, I donated my box of developer documentation to an Atari group in Chicago). But that keyboard...I added helper springs and tinkered with it, but it still felt like garbage under my fingers. I figured that if it bothered me, it was sure to bother others.

With a hard disk and extra memory, the ST was a bargain for the day, particularly when compared to the Macintosh (but then there was Magic Sac to take care of that). Too bad.

one of my friends had an Atari 800, we played MULE on it and it was still fun, they also had an Amiga. My household we mostly had Tandy's. Today I have an Atari 800XL and XEGS. When a was a kid I when I got my NES, I still coveted the XEGS despite it being technically an inferior machine. These computers are still fun today and enjoy a great community of enthusiasts that keep the computer still relevant.

When the Atari 400/800 first came out in 1979, Sears (the king of department stores in the day) required Atari to meet or exceed the existing FCC regulations around RF interference hence the need for the 'massive' Faraday Cages inside these machines. The FCC rules changed soon after and as such, the following Atari models were much smaller.

Old thread. Technically the A400 was my first computer. I hated that membrane keyboard with the hoy hatred of a thousand suns. The A800 is a differwent animal. I guess. I have a group of Atari STs here that I need to get operational. That's all I can say. I. The past any 800nn machines that I've had I've sold off. I'm wondering now if I should have held on to them.

Default Vintage Computers and Video Game Systems

I am a collector here in North Florida. I have to say one of my favorite system in my collection is my vintage Atari 800, in a near mint box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqKAwSxMFE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by haightc View Post
    one of my friends had an Atari 800, we played MULE on it and it was still fun, they also had an Amiga. My household we mostly had Tandy's. Today I have an Atari 800XL and XEGS. When a was a kid I when I got my NES, I still coveted the XEGS despite it being technically an inferior machine. These computers are still fun today and enjoy a great community of enthusiasts that keep the computer still relevant.
    M.U.L.E is one of the best games I have ever played. It was the only game I know of that would utilize all four joysticks for a four player game. The game was very well designed, the competition between the four players could get very inventive, even predatory. Great party game. I have found no equal in the games or the PC or Amiga.

Don't forget the catchy tune that went with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EubKmtFBXY

I still play this game today, but on my Commodore 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I was almost an ST convert; I even took out membership as an ST developer. (Some years ago, I donated my box of developer documentation to an Atari group in Chicago). But that keyboard...I added helper springs and tinkered with it, but it still felt like garbage under my fingers. I figured that if it bothered me, it was sure to bother others.
    Atari's excuse for the mushy keyboard was that it had a key click beeper. My XEGS has firmer keys than my 1040ST; I don't know if it came that way from the factory or if the original owner added the extra springs.

And as for Commodore copying Atari... the C64's uppercase font is exactly identical to that of the Atari 8-bit series.