Image Map Image Map

Thread: Has anyone used the ESP8266 wifi microcontroller for any retrocomputing projects?

Default Has anyone used the ESP8266 wifi microcontroller for any retrocomputing projects?

May be late to the party with these, but I'm planning to do some hacking around with the ESP8266 wifi microcontroller and connect them up to some of my vintage machines. They are surprisingly cheap ($2-$3 for a chip and breakout board) and come with serial-to-wifi firmware installed, but can be flashed with your own firmware. Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to use these for any reason. I have a few arriving tonight and will see how they work.

Someone had a RS-232 -> wifi bridge project using one, it was being discussed on the forums not that long ago. The stock firmware makes it easy enough to e.g. set your DOS time from a SNTP request made over the serial port to an ESP8266.

They are *incredibly* cheap for what they are. Isn't the future great?!

I did an Atari 1050 floppy drive emulator on the EPS8266, with an SD card as storage. The WiFi part is working, I can even see the connection details on the Atari still it is work in progress though..

With a bit of effort you can program them from the Arduino IDE

Blog Entries

There's also the WiModem for the commodore computers.
    I've got one and it works well.