Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anybody understand how OPL2 percussion mode works?

Blog Entries

Zone 66 actually mixed 4 voices on the digital channel while using the other FM voices.

In terms of playing digi drums and other instruments using only a single digi channel, I think the first game to do this was 4-D Sports Boxing:

...but I think the nicest use of it was by Vibrants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQxfvkUK1Y
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

I've never heard anything done in percussion mode on OPL that didn't sound like a bunch of tin cans being banged by monkeys with soda straws.
    I'm beginning to think that this is inevitable. I think the Snare and the Bass drum can be OK but its seeming like the hihat and cymbal just can't be programmed to sound half decent. I thought about using samples but that obviously wouldn't work on the original adlib which I want to target.
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

The other option, of course, is to roll up normal OPL2 patches for your drum sounds and give up on the dedicated percussion channels. It takes some doing, but you can coax better alternatives out of the chip if you don't mind losing the "extra" channels.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup