Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strangest XT you have ever seen...

Olivetti M19

ynNFfrK.jpg

Works exelent , expanded to 640k

M 19 is not strange, it's just cute. I also have one. I also have it's big sister, Olivetti ETV 260, same mainboard as M19.

a5.jpg

Were all these Olivetti wordprocessors re-purposing the PC/1 hardware? That was a small general purpose XT-class machine where the entire system including floppy controller, parallel and serial controller and CGA graphics controller was implemented on a single, relatively small board (a lot of integration on a big ULA chip from Yamaha) with an ISA compatible-ish edge connector on the end. Unfortunately it was probably just a bit late to the party for XT class hardware and was sold as a budget machine. But it had an NEC V40, CGA graphics (the word processors might call the graphics 'Greyscale CGA' but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts it's colour CGA out of the board but just connected to a greyscale monitor), MS-DOS 3.2, it's all the same as these wordprocessors. Just a differing amount of RAM.

Those dark grey 720K floppy drives are carried straight over (bet you they have orange LEDs?), some of the case mouldings appear to be borrowed too (particularly the Editor 100 where the monitor case is clearly a very minor revision of the PC/1 colour monitor case).

Which PC1 do you mean? Atari PC1, Commodore PC1 or Olivetti Prodest PC1? (These are the PC1 I know, there might be more).

Prodest PC1 shares V40 processor and chipset with ETV 2700, ETV 2900, Editor 100, Quaderno and M200. Maybe more, but these are the ones I know. Most of them have CGA with composite video, ETV 2700 and Editor even share the same monitor (CRT 2700). Only Prodest PC 1 has standard CGA output and analoque RGB video to use monitors like they can be used for homecomputers like Atari ST and Commodore Amiga; and Quderno subnotebook with LCD.

m200.jpg ETV2900.jpg
    Compare that M200 with ETV 2900, the upper part (monitor downto floppy drives) is the same.
    Last edited by 1ST1; May 8th, 2019 at 01:30 PM.