Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XT with HDD >20MB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    My XT came with an Seagate ST-225 but it wasn't long before I replaced the controller with an RLL controller and ran the drive as a 30M drive.
    Do you recall encountering any issues doing that? Higher occurrence of bad sectors, etc.?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Do you recall encountering any issues doing that? Higher occurrence of bad sectors, etc.?
    I've run several MFM drives with RLL controllers with no issues whatsoever. They were Seagate ST-225, Maxtor XT-1140, and Maxtor XT-2190.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

In the late 80s I bought a clone turbo XT. Had an EGA card & monitor (the latter a Samsung), and I dropped in an ST-238R with an Adaptec 2070a controller, which was pretty much designed for the 238. Worked quite nicely.

IIRC, the ST-238R is the same piece of hardware as the ST-238 -- only the label is different.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

As far as I can tell, there never was a MFM ST-238 drive. The ST-238R is an RLL equipped ST-225; I think ST-138R was the same drive. All of these have 2 platters. Just to be tricky, Seagate also had an MFM ST-138 which had 3 platters.

Can't speak for the 138, but back in the day I heard more than once that a 238 was a 225 with better electronics. Also knew several folks who used David's trick of formatting a 225 with an RLL controller. Seemed risky to me at the time.

These days, now that I have a 2070a controller again, I am sooo tempted to pick up a Mitsubishi MR-535 MFM if another turns up, just to see I can make it work reliably as RLL.