Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XT with HDD >20MB

Blog Entries

Partitioning didn't exist for very early DOS, so some controllers allowed you to take your 32MB hard drive and make it appear as two 16MB drives.

A similar thing was done with Apple II early hard drives--make a hard disk look like a pile of floppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    A similar thing was done with Apple II early hard drives--make a hard disk look like a pile of floppies.
    Wasn't something like this available for IBM PC as well? I mean there was some external HDD for 5150 in the DOS 1.xx era.

3. Default

I have several Amstrad 2086s, those are 8086s XT class machines with a 30mb RLL hard disk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    Wasn't something like this available for IBM PC as well? I mean there was some external HDD for 5150 in the DOS 1.xx era.
    Perhaps, but by 1.26, there was a limited amount (FAT12) of hard disk support available. No subdirectories, through.

The Taiwanese turbo XT clone my family bought toward the end of the '80s had a 40 MB Miniscribe in it. So certainly it wasn't unheard of. But I do recall many of the ads I spent all kinds of time memorizing were mostly for 20 or 30 MB systems, even for a while after. The Leading Edge Model D2 (10 MHz 80286) we upgraded to around 1990 had only a 30 MB drive (which we replaced with the 40 MB drive from the XT clone). My vague recollection is 1989 or 1990 was around the time I started regularly seeing 40 MB drives as a base option.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    This item may have operated like this as it was for multiple different platforms. I'm sure I read somewhere of a Winchester for the PC that worked like a stack of floppies. I guess it would have been good for compatibility.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=w_...0SCS-5&f=false
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

My 1988 (or maybe 1989) Vendex HeadStart LX came with a 40MB MiniScribe factory installed too, controller is mainboard integrated (makes it rather specific for using a 8450XT, tried a Seagate ST-3040A/X to no avail since it only sees 20MB with that disk).

But I was the first in my class with 40MB disk in their XT and 3.5" HD floppy drive (and 4-color CGA for that matter) LOL
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

ATARI PC 3 (8088 CPU) has 30 MB St506 RLL hardisk.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    ATARI PC 3 (8088 CPU) has 30 MB St506 RLL hardisk.
    The ST-506 is a 5 MB MFM drive.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The ST-506 is a 5 MB MFM drive.
    Yes, but the term "ST-506" (or "ST-412") is also used for the interface introduced with these drives.