Image Map Image Map

Thread: Quantel V Paintbox / Harriet Sony Optical Discs

Default Quantel V Paintbox / Harriet Sony Optical Discs

I worked at MTV on Quantel V Paintbox and Harriet and we used Sony Magneto Optical discs to store our graphics. Any chance someone might be able to read these?
    Last edited by DizzyTV; October 9th, 2017 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Read the discs? Probably. Do you know what the capacity of the discs are? Typically, a drive could read 3 generations of discs. For example, my 2.6 GB drive can read 2.6 GB, 1.3 GB, and 650 MB discs.

Reading the files, I hope you have a copy of Paintbox. Paintbox was not common software and I have no idea if any other software can import the files.

Right, I seem to remember these being 600mb discs generally. I do not have a Paintbox (it was hardware based) so I would be looking for someone with the system still hooked up, or a way to translate it. These were used on a V series / Harriet at MTV. Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    For example, my 2.6 GB drive can read 2.6 GB, 1.3 GB, and 650 MB discs.
    There were MO disks with a sector size of 512Byte and others with 1024Byte (hard sectored). MS-DOS and Windows based PCs had problems using media with the larger sectors. Media with 512Byte/Sector are marked as 600MB and 1.2GB media.

Regards, Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyTV View Post
    I worked at MTV on Quantel V Paintbox and Harriet and we used Sony Magneto Optical discs to store our graphics. Any chance someone might be able to read these?
    yes, i have a working paintbox express, mo drive and can batch convert the images to anything you want

just in case anyone wonders what happened about this

DizzyTV sent me his disks and i did manage to successfully read and convert about 1200 files off the disks

if anyone else needs to recover any v-series quantel paintbox files, just drop me a PM and i'll see if i can help.