Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just picked up a Mac SE/30!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    The upgrade theory doesn't explain why the front still says SE/30, and the sticker on the back of the machine says SE/30. Maybe someone downgraded it? and the 800k badge serves as a warning for someone about to put a high-density disk in?

Well, before going to bed I had another look at the motherboard. Noticed a bit of moisture around some of the caps, realized that a few were leaking. I have no experience with this computer or capacitors in general, but I was tired and a bit panicked and watched a YouTube video and decided to remove the caps to prevent further damage. I have no heat gun though, so I butchered it. Not sure how caustic the cap ooze is, but in my mind last night I was imagining it to be awful. So in the process I lost 4 pads off the motherboard, 2 on C10, 1 on C9, 1 on C6. Otherwise the board looks good, but I feel that I completely suck. I'd like to learn to replace the pads myself, but I don't want to learn on this board. It's time to throw in the towel and let a pro take care of it before I screw things up worse. I see someone advertising a recapping service on eBay, thinking that might be the way to go. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm in Las Vegas, but obviously can ship.

Cheers
    The SE 30 that I obtained earlier this year ("in good shape") exhibited the same symptoms that Ole Pigeon describes. Rather than learn on the board I sent it off to a repair service. Total cost was around $100, including shipping.

The resource I used:

MACCAPS.COM 
    14511 W ELEVEN MILE ROAD
    Oak Park, Mi 48237
    UNITED STATES

recaps@maccaps.com
    Charles Phillips
    248 325 8812

HTH and good luck.

-CH-

Charles does pretty good work. He's recapped several of my boards (I'm a fan of the IIci, but those almost all need new capacitors nowadays).
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Charles does pretty good work. He's recapped several of my boards (I'm a fan of the IIci, but those almost all need new capacitors nowadays).
    There are two kinds of Macintoshes: Those that needed new capacitors and those that will need new capacitors.

-CH-

So far I haven't noticed this much with my '040s and early beige Power Macs, just my '030s. I'm sure their time will come, but they're trucking along okay.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    There are two kinds of Macintoshes: Those that needed new capacitors and those that will need new capacitors.

-CH-
    Unless they are solid state from the factory, making three types.

Sorry.

Blog Entries

Quadra Q800/Q950 seem to have tantalum capacitors.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems