Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Mac SE/30!!!

Default Just picked up a Mac SE/30!!!

Hello all-

Just picked up a really well cared for SE/30. It had not been powered on in a few years, and the first time I powered it up, I heard the fan, pretty sure I heard the hard drive, did not hear any beep. It went to the screen with the question mark diskette. Powered it down, waited 10 seconds, powered it back up and this time the hard drive must have properly worked, because it went to the desktop screen. I was able to click on a few programs and it seemed to all work very well. Still never heard a chime though.

So I'm planning on opening it up to have a look around, maybe as soon as tonight. I'm wondering what I should be keeping an eye out for, in terms things I should check on that may cause problems. I've read that there are potential problems with battery leaks, and that some capacitors seem to be very susceptible to exploding. Outward appearances of this unit look great, and I'd like to keep the inside looking great to. So feel free to post any potential pitfalls please.

Cheers,
    Brian

Absolutely guaranteed that it needs a recap. No sound, faint sound, squealing speaker, etc. are all indicative of bad capacitors.

The HDD may end up working again with no problems if you keep it spun up. That'll keep the bearings moving, free them up.

It would also behoove you to open the machine up and replace the battery with a new one, otherwise you risk it leaking and destroying the computer. If it has a red Maxwell battery, get it out right quick! It's a ticking time bomb that will go off.

If the floppy drive doesn't work, it could just do with a good clean. The old silicon grease has likely crystalized and/or dried up. There are several tutorials online for cleaning and lubricating your floppy drive.

Opened it up and it looks pretty good. Doesn't seem like anything dramatic has happened. Just looks a bit dusty. Looks like it has the OE battery, dated Sept 89. Not a Maxwell, a Tadiran. Not leaking, but I pulled it out and will replace. Thanks olePigeon!

Took a quick look inside the floppy and it is DUSTY. Will have to clean that out. Strange thing about this computer, it's badged as an SE/30 front and back, but on the front next to the drive it says 800k. I had read that the SE/30 came standard with a 1.44 megabyte drive from day one. Anybody have any knowledge or a theory on this? BTW this model is M5119. Looks like it has an 80 gig hard drive.

Looks like it has 4, 4MB RAM chips and 4, 256KB RAM chips.

Cheers

Got a better look at the drive, and it a Sony MP-F51W-23 which as I understand is an 800k drive. This is bizarre to me, as everything that I can find says that the SE/30 came standard with the 1.4 "superdrive". Not a big deal, just very perplexing. I could see someone swapping it out after purchase, but the fact that the front of the computer says SE/30, and 800k on the same piece of plastic is strange.

Cheers

It's entirely possible they swapped out a bad floppy for a working 800K floppy. Who knows. Easily swappable if you find Superdrive replacement (should be an auto-inject, or you'll have a tough time inserting floppies.)

The Macintosh SE/30 Wikipedia page says that a Macintosh SE could be upgraded to an SE/30 via a logic board swap and notes that it was possible to end up with an SE/30 with an 800k drive this way. Perhaps the "800k" labeled bezel was the one that came with the SE/30 upgrade kit?

The upgrade theory doesn't explain why the front still says SE/30, and the sticker on the back of the machine says SE/30. Maybe someone downgraded it? and the 800k badge serves as a warning for someone about to put a high-density disk in?

Well, before going to bed I had another look at the motherboard. Noticed a bit of moisture around some of the caps, realized that a few were leaking. I have no experience with this computer or capacitors in general, but I was tired and a bit panicked and watched a YouTube video and decided to remove the caps to prevent further damage. I have no heat gun though, so I butchered it. Not sure how caustic the cap ooze is, but in my mind last night I was imagining it to be awful. So in the process I lost 4 pads off the motherboard, 2 on C10, 1 on C9, 1 on C6. Otherwise the board looks good, but I feel that I completely suck. I'd like to learn to replace the pads myself, but I don't want to learn on this board. It's time to throw in the towel and let a pro take care of it before I screw things up worse. I see someone advertising a recapping service on eBay, thinking that might be the way to go. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm in Las Vegas, but obviously can ship.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    The upgrade theory doesn't explain why the front still says SE/30
    Because the upgrade came with a new bezel labelled "SE/30":
    In keeping with Apple's practice from the Apple II+ until the Power Macintosh G3 was announced, a logic board upgrade was available to convert a regular SE to a SE/30. The SE would then have exactly the same specs as an SE/30, with the difference only in the floppy drive if the SE had an 800 KB drive. The set included a new front bezel to replace the original SE bezel with that of an SE/30.

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    Because the upgrade came with a new bezel labelled "SE/30":
    If that's the case, then the upgrade came with a whole new case, or just a sticker replacement, as the rear housing says "SE/30" too.

Nice find.