Image Map Image Map

Thread: NCR S26: EISA configuration makes me want to die a little

Default NCR S26: EISA configuration makes me want to die a little

So, I've got a NCR S26 server. I'm trying to populate PCI slot 1 with a 3COM 3c905cx-tx-m ethernet adapter. However, i've got to use this asinine EISA setup diskette to do that. I have the diskette, but apparently i need a device-specific .cfg file to get it to actually acknowledge there's anything in the slot at all, as if i don't do that or if i don't bother with the EISA config at all Windows NT just acts like no card is installed. What should I do? Aren't PS/2 style system diskettes deader than disco, and if so why are NCR and Acer putting me through this old song and dance?

Blog Entries

PS/2 and EISA are a bit different. I have a few EISA machines but none that have PCI (just EISA, ISA, VESA). From what I recall you didn't even have to configure the ISA cards.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Yeah, the comparison was kind of a bad one. This is a mixed ISA-PCI server system, but for some reason it prompts for cfg configuration even when trying to select a PCI card. There IS a "Create cfg" option, but when i try to do that i don't have any of the needed info - IRQs and all that - and even then it seems to only let me choose the created cfg for ISA ports. Can't get it to want anything to do with the PCI ports for the life of me. The slot i'm using had a PCI Token ring card in it (which WinNT similarly refused to have anything to do with) and the EISA config utility acknowledged that it's gone, but otherwise treats the slot as empty.

I kind of wonder if i need chipset drivers on NT's end for PCI functionality, but have no idea where to find them since NCR's own site hasn't got them. Where is add/remove hardware under NT4 ES, anyways?

So it is not having EISA slots, just ISA and PCI?

Standard ISA+PCI boards were easy to setup, all of them I had in hands, and these were a lot, didn't request for CFG files for PCI card, they were just "Plug&Play". But yes, NCR might be a bit more special, not following the PCI standard...

ISA seems plug and play enough, but PCI doesn't seem to do a thing without help. The ISA slots seem to be dual ISA/EISA, as the S26 manual specifically says that the EISA utility is needed to set up peripherals.

Post a picture of the slots, or compare your slots to pictures on the web, to find out for sure what kind of slots you have. You might only need the EISA utility to reserve resources used by ISA cards so that PCI cards will know what resources not to use. This computer probably pre-dates ISA Plug-n-Play so all ISA cards need to be manually configured.

I had a DEC dual Pentium server that required PCI to be setup in the EISA config utility. With that you could assign IRQ's etc. The documentation for the card may tell you what works best, or install it in a regular PC, workout what assignments it needs and then set them in the config. I think this round-about method may have been implemented due to early PCI having some major problems with OS support. Also I think PCI 2.0 had some issues too. When I complied my EISA config archive, there were countless utilities for configuring ISA systems in a similar way to EISA, though I don't have any idea how that worked.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

ooh, i oughta see if i can dump the cfg file for your archive! Also, i ultimately worked around the issue with a ISA NIC. would prefer to get PCI going eventually since ISA NICs are at a premium for me, but this works for now.

Thanks, I will try to add the files to the archive. Does anyone know of any other NCR machines that used EISA? I did a bit of research last night and from what I can tell they were mainly MCA.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.