Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5140: should I remove battery?

Default IBM 5140: should I remove battery?

I recently got a IBM 5140 PC Convertible and I love this machine! It's beautiful. One ting I found is that it seems it never truly power off. From what I have read, even after shutdown, the battery still keep RAM powered, which explains why it always come back to where I left off the last time unless battery is totally drained. My question is, in order to prolong the lifespan of my 5140 to fullest, should I remove the battery? Also, if I should, how do I do it? I have seen photos of 5140 with a battery door at the back, but mine doesn't have one. I also tried removing the back panel, but it does not reveal any battery.

Blog Entries

I would consider removing the battery when placing the 5140 into storage. There is a plastic door on the back (once you remove all the expansion) that pops open and the battery just slides out. Personally I removed the battery from mine and never put it back in.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I would consider removing the battery when placing the 5140 into storage. There is a plastic door on the back (once you remove all the expansion) that pops open and the battery just slides out. Personally I removed the battery from mine and never put it back in.
    Thanks for the advice. My 5140 does not seem to have battery door though. My 5140's back panel is solid. It looks like this (not my photo but looks the same)
    09.jpg