Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superbrain vs. Model xx

They don't rust as the case is made of plastic (of sorts). However, the paint finish can get damaged. I have one here that looks like it's rusty, but it is just the textured plastic showing through the paint (the plastic is light brown, paint is off white). No idea how it got like that...

If it is the one being sold by wehaveelectronics, the main problem is acquiring the missing keys. The keyswitches themselves are pretty common, so broken stems are no bother. It looks OK, a bit grimy but no rust as such. The keyboard surrounds do go like that, they're a funny textured matte paint, brown on the earlier models, grey on the later ones.

The other one being sold by heatheteniso_0 looks bad but it is a Superbrain II in effect (2 ROMs) and has some sort of extension card. Definitely a good one. Sure, the front is filthy and you might need to strip and respray, or it may come up with a good scrub. However, it is obviously broken. I'd be surprised if it fetched $450. If you're confident fixing it I'd say go ahead.

On the other hand, the one I bought earlier on this year cost 160 in a UK auction (not "Buy it Now"). It needed many repairs, but now is doing well. Expect both of these to be relisted many times over; maybe the owners will see sense in due time.
    Last edited by JonB; November 12th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

Blog Entries

High-density PU foam, perhaps? About the color of the foam on a root beer ice cream float. Great stuff; doesn't need expensive mold tooling; usually painted (the baby-dumpling brown color is unappealing), strong, resists cracking and yet you can drive an ordinary staple into it.

One of my Superbrains has paint flaking off of the base. It was a very smooth plastic surface so they either used bad paint or the paint just didn't have much to stick to.

It's a sort of recycled plastic. I read that Intertech made a big thing of its green creds. May be foam, but it is hard as nails. Not sure a staple would go into it!

It's almost like a fibreglass but it's heavier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    They don't rust as the case is made of plastic (of sorts). However, the paint finish can get damaged. I have one here that looks like it's rusty, but it is just the textured plastic showing through the paint (the plastic is light brown, paint is off white). No idea how it got like that...
    Yeah I wasn't so much worried about the case as I was about the ports on the back (DB25, etc). To my eyes, they looked rusty. And usually when there's rust there, it means there's the potential for rust inside the machine, ie traces, etc. and may speak to it being stored in bad conditions. At least that's been my experience. In the event, I asked the seller about it and they said it wasn't rust, but then pulled the pic down. They did, however, do some cleanup on the case and took some pics of that and the inside, which was appreciated.

The other one being sold by heatheteniso_0 looks bad but it is a Superbrain II in effect (2 ROMs) and has some sort of extension card. Definitely a good one. Sure, the front is filthy and you might need to strip and respray, or it may come up with a good scrub. However, it is obviously broken. I'd be surprised if it fetched $450. If you're confident fixing it I'd say go ahead.
    Yes it's the heatheteniso one. I think I could fix it.. I've (with considerable help from others here, or occasionally on my own) managed to get other machines going in similar or worse shape. I think the sticking point for me, especially after buying this hantavirus nest of a terminal from another seller, is that pictures may be deceiving. And the other thing is, yeah, it's more or less a Superbrain II, but it doesn't say 'Superbrain'.. to me, that gives it less cachet than one with that one word on the badge. And since I have limited space, if I'm going to have a Superbrain in the collection I'd kind of like it to be an actual Superbrain, unless the price differnce is enormous. I realize it's all in my head.. but to me I see this Model 30 and just think.. ah.. that's just another generic CP/M machine in Superbrain form factor.

Blog Entries

Well, I never fooled with a Superbrain, but I did use an Interterm III for awhile. It definitely did have a high-density foam case.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I realize it's all in my head.. but to me I see this Model 30 and just think.. ah.. that's just another generic CP/M machine in Superbrain form factor.
    You're the buyer - and the buyer is always right...