Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help needed: Compaq Presario 5220 all-in-one

Default Help needed: Compaq Presario 5220 all-in-one

Hello!

I recently got hold of my first older computer: A Compaq Presarion 5220 all-in-one computer. I found it all by itself outside in the rain, so I just had to rescue it since I knew this was something a bit unusual. I disassembled it, dried it in a warm dry room for a few days, can-aired it and prayed that it wouldn't blow up once I plugged it in. To my pleasure it ran perfectly (Except it was really slow thanks to Lotus SmartSuite being set to auto-start - So I killed Lotus)

Here's the picture from right after I picked it up (Pardon the poor quality, got an old smartphone)photo_2017-10-10_22-45-02.jpg

And here it is right after booting it up for the first time (I didn't have the right mouse and keyboard back then, that's fixed now) photo_2017-10-11_16-16-52.jpg

photo_2017-10-12_23-31-44.jpg

Here's a picture I found(From Imgur-user IBelieveAllTheThings)
    MqU1iNW.jpg

Picture of the board diagram
    photo_2017-10-12_23-40-58.jpg

First thing I'm going to do is upgrade the RAM once I find a good deal on 2x32MB chips!

Now, to my questions:

On the motherboard tray, it says it's a "586-based system". I've been told that 586 is the code of non-Intel made 486 boards, but I've also been told it's the successor to the 486 (Also called Pentium - This computer has a Pentium A80502-100). Which statement is true? And would it be possible to upgrade the CPU?

The motherboard has one PCI-slot, but uses that slot for a ISA riser board. Would it be possible to replace the riser board with a PCI one in order to install a graphics card? Or is the voltage all wrong?

I find very little information on these (The only 5220 I find is a mini-tower, maybe this one is a European model variant?), the closest I've found specs-wise is the Presario 5528. Would any of you agree, or is there any other model that's more similar/identical?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Pardon if my questions are rather vague, I'm new to this. But what I'm trying to say is, is there anything fun I can do with this in terms of upgrading? Doesn't have to be something overkill, but just enough to improve it a bit

Just use it as is. Want a more powerful Pentium: buy another OEM cheap. OEMs are not upgrade friendly and get easily damaged.

That's what I feared. Old computers are a bit hard to come by where I live, but I'll find one eventually. At least it's a neat little machine to refresh my Windows 95-knowledge with (Haven't used it since I went to primary school). Thanks for your reply!

Lykke til! Det fins mange maskiner på ebay.de.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLI View Post
    Just use it as is. Want a more powerful Pentium: buy another OEM cheap. OEMs are not upgrade friendly and get easily damaged.
    I disagree, and the board diagram is evidence. You can see that the CPU is in a ZIF socket with a retention arm for easy removal.

Compaq machines were generally very upgradeable, with the exception of the floppy drive due to the weird oval button. I've had numerous Compaq machines over the years and even the most proprietary types had at least normal CPU and RAM upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxchase View Post
    Now, to my questions:

On the motherboard tray, it says it's a "586-based system". I've been told that 586 is the code of non-Intel made 486 boards, but I've also been told it's the successor to the 486 (Also called Pentium - This computer has a Pentium A80502-100). Which statement is true? And would it be possible to upgrade the CPU?

The motherboard has one PCI-slot, but uses that slot for a ISA riser board. Would it be possible to replace the riser board with a PCI one in order to install a graphics card? Or is the voltage all wrong?

I find very little information on these (The only 5220 I find is a mini-tower, maybe this one is a European model variant?), the closest I've found specs-wise is the Presario 5528. Would any of you agree, or is there any other model that's more similar/identical?
    1) "586" can refer to several different things. AMD, Cyrix and other CPU makers used the 586 moniker as competition to Intel's Pentium, but the features of processors labelled as a 586 varied wildly. AMD's Am5x86 was a fast 486, Cyrix's 5x86 was a cut down version of their 6x86 core, and other vendors either used Cyrix's design (IBM) or had designs based on the 486. 586 in Intel's terminology could either mean the early Socket 4, 5 and 7 Pentium chips.

2) Be very careful about motherboards with riser slots. Just because it may look like a common PCI slot, doesn't mean that it is. Your board diagram states that it's a riser slot so you know not to try to put anything but the riser board in it. LPX and NLX style motherboards used throughout the 90s had risers of varying configurations, but the slot connectors were never standardized, even within the same manufacturer across motherboard models.

3) I think this PC was intended for the educational market to compete with Apple's then dominance of the K-12 market. It looks very similar to AIW PowerPC designs of the time like the Power Macintosh 5000 series, and probably explains why so little information exists on it.

Takk for tipset!

Educational purposes sounds about right, considering some of the programs that were installed.

And thank you for the rest of your help! I haven't done much with the computer since I got it, other than cleaning it up. I have ordered 2x32MB SIMM chips for it. And I've also looked into CPUs, I found a decade-old post on a different forum where someone suggested the Pentium 166 (A80502-166) or the Pentium 200 without MMX (A80502-200). Seeing as I got the A80502-100, I think either would be fine? Or would an Overdrive version work too? I'm just afraid to go too high due to the lack of any fan ports on the motherboard (And the fact that the existing fan leads the heat straight through the monitor).