Image Map Image Map

Thread: Asante Mini EN/SC help required

Default Asante Mini EN/SC help required

Hi all,

Picked up a supposedly working Asante Mini EN/SC SCSI ethernet adaptor from eBay last week.

I firstly tried it out on my SE/30 and got nowhere. Basically the drivers install just fine; likewise you can run diagnostics on it (from the Asante driver disk) and everything seems to pass. When it comes to the ethernet working though it's absolutely dead. Can't get an IP from DHCP, with a static IP you can't even ping it, appletalk doesn't see anything on the network etc.

I also tried the adaptor on a Quadra running system 7.5.3 and an LC running 7.1. Same basic results

What is unusual is that a) the link integrity light pulses all the time and b) the network activity light never flashes at all. Also part of the diagnostic software is capturing ethernet packets; when this test is run it always reports observing 0 packets....

Has this card got a bad transceiver or something? Pretty annoyed if it has; I payed a lot of money for it.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Tried the adaptor plugged directly into a 10MBPS ethernet hub. This resulted in the link integrity light becoming solid; however the link light on the hub never turns on??

I'm starting to think this thing is beyond repairs....
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Try an Ethernet crossover cable. Sometimes you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pcedev View Post
    Tried the adaptor plugged directly into a 10MBPS ethernet hub. This resulted in the link integrity light becoming solid; however the link light on the hub never turns on??

I'm starting to think this thing is beyond repairs....
    Is this an old 10mbps only hub, or 10/100? These old ethernet adapters are very problematic on 10/100 hardware, frequently wont link up.

Also don't count on DHCP working, I've never had any luck on old Mac setups, I always have to set them static.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Right on both counts: autonegotiation is probably giving you a bad day (make sure you insert some sort of interposer hub or switch that does not autonegotiate), and you won't have DHCP without OpenTransport. If you're connecting with MacTCP, it's static IP only.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Tried it on a fixed 10MBPS hub (definately not a 10/100). Definitely didn't use DHCP; set it to a static IP and then attempted to ping it. I think the transciever transformer has probably died; the only other thing I could try is 10-base-5 Coax. That will require me digging out a very old network switch which bridged Coax to 10baseT....

10B5? It should be 10B2 on that if I remember correctly. Any old 10Mbit hub will have a 10B2 connector. Remember to use proper RG-58 cabling with terminators (the RG-59 you get at WalWart is usually insufficient for this purpose).

However, my suspicion is that they're both coming off the same transceiver, so this might not help. I like the full size EN/SC myself because it has an AUI port.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I have to force the link speed on the upstream 10/100 router for my Asante EN/SC card for it to link up. Otherwise it never links up.

I'll try the coax sometime later this week. Thanks for all the suggestions; looks like this one is just going to be a pain in the backside!