Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atari ST Meagfile 30 question

The Megafile takes quite some time to get 'ready' so wait a bit longer after switching on the Megafile (20 to 30 seconds at least) and then turn on the ST.

As for adapter/bridge boards in Atari harddisks: I had a SH204 once which had both an ACSI to SCSI adapter and a SCSI to MFM controller inside. I replaced the SCSI to MFM controller + MFM drive later on with a 'real' SCSI harddisk.

Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post
    The Megafile takes quite some time to get 'ready' so wait a bit longer after switching on the Megafile (20 to 30 seconds at least) and then turn on the ST.

As for adapter/bridge boards in Atari harddisks: I had a SH204 once which had both an ACSI to SCSI adapter and a SCSI to MFM controller inside. I replaced the SCSI to MFM controller + MFM drive later on with a 'real' SCSI harddisk.
    I found the Atari Hard Disk Utilities (v.5.x) at the UM archive (referenced in an earlier thread at VCF; thanks to ChuckG et alii) and formatted a 720 DSDD 3.5 disk on my tweener PC. With this I was able to load the file onto the Atari.

As you suggested I waited at least a minute before turning on the ST after first powering up the meagfile and monitor. The ST loaded the desktop from ROM after a long delay - maybe a minute - but I was able to read the floppy and execute the HD utility, although the hard disk did not show up on the desktop at first.

The HD utility offered a menu that included format, partition, zero and other options. I didn't know what zero was and had no idea what was on the disk so I exited. Also included was an AHDI utility. When I tried to execute that program I got four bombs on the desktop.

I hit the reset button and lo and behold, the HD icon appeared on the screen. Clicking on it showed zero items in zero folders.

Once again I invoked the HDX utility and this time selected "Format". The program ran and listed the HD as the only ACSI device on the bus, but said it did not identify itself. I did notice the HD access light flicker briefly, from which I conclude two things: the ST is outputting commands onto the bus and these commands are reaching the megafile, but there is a problem at the megafile's controller. (I have the ACSI cable going to the megafile's "IN" port; I assume that's correct.)

The good news is that the ST works. The bad news is that the megafile does not ... yet.

Thanks for your reply.

-CH-

Progress, of a sort:

Following some helpful advice I booted the ST with a formatted drive in the floppy drive A:. I found the machine boots almost instantly, however, there are limited desk accessory options available. I think I probably have the wrong disk but not sure which one to use: Language Disk? System Disk? Other?

I was however able to run the basic executable from the A: drive. The B: drive, now that I have a data cable to connect, showed the contents of the same disk but presented an error when I tried to execute basic from that drive. Could be head cleaning is needed but maybe indicative of another problem?

I returned to the megafile and found that what I thought was an unresponsive drive was in fact an unresponsive mouse. I really have to hammer the left button several times to select anything. But the good news is that I was able to communicate with the megafile: I ran the format and partition options from the Atari utilities. I opted for "mark bad" and the utility found 7 more in addition to the 62 already marked on the drive.

Partitioning ran automatically as part of formatting, but I ran it again to see what the partitions are. There were four partitions, each 7.8 Mb, with a little left over. I don't know enough to know if they can be collapsed or expanded, or how. The utility has an "expert" button but it is greyed out and I could not invoke it.

Once again an attempt to run the AHDI program caused a 4-bomb crash.

I'm learning but the Atari OS is enough different that I am barking my shins a lot as I stumble around.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

-CH-

Pic: Formatting.jpg

Recent progress using the HDD utility authored by Uwe Seimet. With the aid of the utility (demo version) I was able to install the hard disk driver, view the partitions and other disk info. The machine now boots with the Megafile and I am able to communicate with it.

There are three 10.3 Mb partitions on the Megafile, as a result of my previous efforts, and the HDD utility lists them as C, D and E. However, the Atari desktop does not allow me to see D or E, or to add them as icons: the ADD DISK option on the menu is greyed out.

This may be the result of the TOS 1.0 ROMS or maybe I am missing something, but if you have a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks,

-CH-

Pictures attached:

HDDriver02.jpg HDDriver03.jpg HDDriver04.jpg HDDriver05.jpg HDDriver06.jpg HDDriver07.jpg HDDriver08.jpg