Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess my car is haunted.

Default I guess my car is haunted.

Apparently my car is haunted, it woke up the neighborhood this morning honking its own horn. Worst of all I can't say it didn't happen, my security camera caught the incident, and it didn't do it once.. It actually did it twice. The second time I went out to see if anyone was breaking into the car, and when I was walking back in and closed the door, it blew the horn again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0VjkK6cFsE

Relay and horn switch are fine, there's no shorts in the wires, and I tried wiggling every electrical harness. I really don't know what else to check, I simply haven't found anything which could do this. Let alone in predictively short bursts.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Sounds like an insecure security system.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Possibly. It can also be as simple as an intermittent horn switch.

In ye olden dayes, this was very common on every car not made by AMC. (They powered the horn circuit from the ignition to prevent this. If you can't get to the bottom of this, I highly recommend making that modification to your car). It was actually a very common occurrence to have a horn sound by itself. Usually, but not always though, it would happen in the hot sun when the horn pad would distort.

I had a Chrysler that had a similar problem. The dome lamp would turn itself on in the middle of the night and drain the battery. Because I parked the car in a lot far from home, and this was in the stone age before the prevalence of video cameras, this took me a long time to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sounds like an insecure security system.
    An insecurity system.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    An insecurity system.
    You haven't lived till you've had one that would disable the ignition at random.

Blog Entries

I'm betting on your key fob. Maybe the 'panic' button is sticking?

Sounds like part of the wiring harness is under water. Feel around the floor and trunk for wet spots.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    You haven't lived till you've had one that would disable the ignition at random.
    Years ago i had an old Ford that did that, In the end i got so fed up with it i did a bit of rewiring and disconnected the immobilizer completely.

There is no security system on that car.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

94 Caprice doesn't have a key fob.

However, in reference to the horn switch, it seems to be working just fine. I'll just need to find an allen wrench to get the horn button off (which is directly behind the airbag).

The relay box itself was a recalled item, but when I bought the car from the previous owner, it was already replaced when the police department owned it.
    Last edited by evildragon; October 14th, 2017 at 10:39 AM.