Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple IIe Monitor a little funky

Default Apple IIe Monitor a little funky

Hello,
    So a while back I got a fantastic deal on a complete Apple IIe Setup, with DuoDrive, Monitor, A Printer, and two boxes of software, games and manuals all for only $125!!! Anyways, when I powered it on I was so excited that I didn't notice that the monitor looked a little funky. The letters seems streaked kind of, I thought that was normal, but looking at other images of setups, their's are crystal clear. I'll attach an image. Something to note though, when I went to pick it up, they had the brightness all the way up, to the point that you could see the drawing lines. I'm not sure if it had always been like that or not. I'm not quite sure if this some type of burn-in, or a pot thats out of wack. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I'd first try spraying some contact cleaner into each of the brightness and contrast pots, rotating them a bit to get the grunge cleaned out.

You can get the spray inside the pot by looking for the terminals--there's usually a small aperture in the "can".

Also check the cable between the computer and the monitor. It should be a good quality coaxial cable, not a simple audio cable and contact surfaces should be clean.

I had a similar visual symptom problem on an nec monitor, the problem proved to be a faulty zener in the sub brightness control circuit. Bad caps in the video amplifier can also cause the problem.

The apple monitor doesn't use a zener like the nec so start by checking the "int brit" pot and see that it is working. If that looks good then its most likely a capacitor problem.
    I've repaired a number of these monitors and so far all the ones labeled Apple2 have needed recapping, so more recently manufactured ones labeled 2e wont be far off needing a recap.
    They are a pretty easy unit to pull down and recap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post
    Also check the cable between the computer and the monitor. It should be a good quality coaxial cable, not a simple audio cable
    I beg to differ. Unless the cable you have looks like it's been through some woodland animal it will work fine.

The lines you see at full brightness is the raster. This is normal.

Horizontal streatking can be attributed to a number of things, not excluding a problem in the sweep circuit (caps?)
    or a worn tube with poor cutoff.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    The lines you see at full brightness is the raster. This is normal.
    Maybe the OP is talking about retrace lines? Whether or not they are normal depends on the design of the monitor. Some have circuitry to suppress the retrace lines while others don't. In any event, they should not be visible at normal settings (when the brightness is turned down enough so that the background glow just disappears).

Blog Entries

It could also be the retrace circuit.
    Funny you use that photo though. Being the monitor from my rainbow, in fact that specific VR201 needed a full recap before it would behave again. MY suggestion is to do the same on the Apple monitor.
    = Excellent space heater

I'll take a look at it. I would make sense that it could be the caps since it is pretty old. I don't have any contact cleaner, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help!

Do you have the means to prove it's the display and not the IIe ? Has the display been tried on another video source or the IIe on another display?
    Smeary video can be a fault of the IIe. One report was the 74LS10 at C5.

Larry G

I never even thought of that! I will give that a shot.