Image Map Image Map

Thread: KayPro II and KayPro 2x boot issues

Default KayPro II and KayPro 2x boot issues

Hello all,
    I have two KayPro's that seem to behave in the same fashion:

The KayPro II powers up and yields a message on the display requesting a disk be inserted in Drive A. The drive lights to not come on and there is no drive head activity. I can hear the drive motors spinning.

The KayPro 2x came with a dead power supply so I "borrowed" the one from my KayPro II for testing. After doing the swap, the KayPro 2x also shows the same behavior. Powers up to a legible screen reading "KayPro Corporation Version x.02(?)". Unfortunately no disk activity or drive lights. I also can hear the drive motors spinning.

Any ideas where to start with this one?

If I were having that issue, the first thing I'd do is pull the floppy's and clean the heads, clean then lube the guide rails (Tandon TM-100-x) series if that what
    was installed for the Floppy Drives. I use the Motorcycle Lubricant Dri-Slide on the head guide rails to lube them. It doesn't attract dirt and makes the
    heads assembly step much easier. If you have the proper version Boot floppy for each model, it should boot from floppy.

The good thing is you have messages on both computers, so everything is at least working enough to try and boot. You can open each computer and locate
    the ROM Labels and then from the ROM Labels you can identify the proper boot disk.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    If I were having that issue, the first thing I'd do is pull the floppy's and clean the heads, clean then lube the guide rails (Tandon TM-100-x) series if that what
    was installed for the Floppy Drives. I use the Motorcycle Lubricant Dri-Slide on the head guide rails to lube them. It doesn't attract dirt and makes the
    heads assembly step much easier. If you have the proper version Boot floppy for each model, it should boot from floppy.

The good thing is you have messages on both computers, so everything is at least working enough to try and boot. You can open each computer and locate
    the ROM Labels and then from the ROM Labels you can identify the proper boot disk.

Larry
    Larry,
    There is no disk head activity or drive light activity. It's like the disks don't exist. I have tried boot disks and the drive heads do not seek on boot.

Larry,
    The drives do not seek for a disk when the system powers up. There is no drive head activity and the drive lights do not come on.