Image Map Image Map

Thread: Increasing VisiCalc from 40 to 80 col display on AppleII+

Question Increasing VisiCalc from 40 to 80 col display on AppleII+

I have a 48k II+ with an additional 16k Microsoft RAM card but can only get 40 cols using VisiCalc. I recall having 80 cols when using this software at work in the 1980's. Can anyone explain how to do this. Tnx

You need a Videx 80 column card and the VC/80 version of VisiCalc. Here is a photo of mine currently running:
    VisiCalc80.jpg

Larry G

If I remember correctly Videx had pre-boot disks for various programs to enable them to work in 80 col. You would boot these then when prompted insert the program disk. I may have a few around somewhere in my massive A2 software collection.

Quote Originally Posted by retrogear View Post
    You need a Videx 80 column card and the VC/80 version of VisiCalc. Here is a photo of mine currently running:
    VisiCalc80.jpg

Larry G
    Thanks. I will check but I think I have plain ver VisiCalc. Will check when home. I checked old notes and now recall we used something called VC-Expand software pre-boot before VisiCalc.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjunky View Post
    If I remember correctly Videx had pre-boot disks for various programs to enable them to work in 80 col. You would boot these then when prompted insert the program disk. I may have a few around somewhere in my massive A2 software collection.
    Tnx. My A2+ has a Microsoft 16K RAM Card. If I have a pre-boot do I still need the Videx or is the pre-boot dependent upon it?

On a 2+, you need an 80 column card in slot 3 for 80 column. Can't be done with software. VisiCalc sees a Videx card automatically w/o preboot or modification.
    Appleworks needs patch software to get 80 column on 2+ even with Videx.

Larry G

Hmmm I see VC-Expand increases the spreadsheet size with a Saturn 128k memory card. I do have one of those as well. I wonder where a disk image is?

Larry G

Haven't been able to find a VC-Expand disc image yet.

I've learned more now that I found the VC-Expand manual on bitsavers. It modifies a VC16 VisiCalc disk so it DISPLAYS VC/80 so my disk is already modded. You need to specify whether or not you have a Videx 80 col card and what slot#, also if you have a language
    16K and if you have a Saturn 128K and what slot#. We really need to find that VC-Expand disk somewhere ...

Larry G