Image Map Image Map

Thread: gotek display and firmware questions

Default gotek display and firmware questions

After reading a lot about the gotek, get quite confessed of how do you "upgrade" it.
    Seem there a upgrade firmware HxC that is better but don't seem to be for ibm pcs.
    Also seem to be other free firmwares but for amiga.
    I see that you can replace the small segment display for a bigger oled one they are cheap on ebay.

What is the best way to use your gotek ?, better firmware for ibm pc ?, and the oled display that show what floppy image is loaded can be used on pc ?.

HxC has a list of file formats they support. I'd be surprised that they can emulate a PC floppy.
    I'm not sure they support oled's but maybe they do. I have seen them used with a 2 line LCD.
    Again, I'd check with them.
    The way you use their code is to use a USB to 5V serial and connect it to the gotek. You then use
    that to 'FLASH' the processor. How to connect is shown on YouTube.
    Dwight

Somebody came up with an unofficial hack to use a small oled that will fit in place of the 7 segment LED.
    He used a small pic to translate the commands intended for the 16x2 LCD into commands for the OLED.. similar in principle to the XT2AT keyboard converter.

I have 2 gotek drives here, one has the HxC firmware and a 16x2 LCD. I use that on a TRS-80 clone. The other unit hasn't been modified yet but eventually I will use it with HxC and fit the oled mod rather than an LCD to avoid the need to shoehorn it into a custom case.

Blog Entries

Hcx supports pc formats, I've got one in a zenith 8088 laptop.
    I've also got one with a lcd mounted in a external 5 1/4 Floppy Drive.
    The gotek with hcx also supports a screen, oled or standard 2x16 lcd.

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=1683

later,
    dabone

Thanks for the links now i can figure this out.
    So the hxc firmware is free or you have to purchase it ?.
    In the forum links theres the downloads but on the main page says that is for sale .

The official oled support is something new since last time I went to the page.

You can download the firmware but the flash tool requires a license to work (it's cheap).

I can recommend the Gotek/HxC combo for PCs. I have it working fine on a 5160 and Tandy 1000.
    I ported the disk image selector to DOS here: https://github.com/bjt42/hxcfs

you can get a cheap "gotek" license to use the hxc firmware in a gotek machine. it (used) to require soldering stuff to the gotek board to program the pic, so you needed a cable and headers etc.

Unless the Gotek is already programmed, you need to make boot connection. Either solder a few pins or use some micro-hooks and a USB to TTL serial module. Once programmed, I believe you can download new stuff through the USB, without the serial or connectors.
    It is suppose to be a true floppy emulator but when I wrote to HxC about the floppy I wanted to emulate, it fell off the map. It seems it is not a true floppy drive emulator. It is a more or less a soft sectored floppy emulator. I'll admit, I didn't really expect much. The particular machine it would run on is quite rare. To my knowledge there are only 4 left in existence.
    Still the STM32 processors are quite cool. The Gotek can run on a 72MHz clock and others are in the 200+ MHz.
    Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight Elvey; December 6th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.