Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac plus software

Default Mac plus software

This is my first post here, I picked up a Mac plus on eBay as my first vintage system, after being a life long Mac user since the iMac g3 was released in 98.

My question is how do I find or make software for the Mac plus. I read that you canít use a usb floppy. looking at sites like rescue my classic Mac that sell disks, they want nearly 50 dollars for a set of disks with games. Thatís more then I paid for the system.

Thanks for any help you can offer me

The easiest method if you didn't want to mess with floppies would be an external SCSI hard drive or Iomega ZIP drive.

Back when I had crackerbox macs, I had one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232522356518

It made transferring large files between all of my macs super easy. You'd need to have another machine capable of interfacing with the SCSI drive though, which isn't too difficult. Any old Windows XP machine with an Adaptec SCSI card that has an external 25 pin port will work. You'll need some free software to read the drive, I used to use HFVExplorer (it can read/write HFS formatted disks) and Basilisk II (Mac 68k emulator.)

If you had a beige G3 desktop or tower, it would be the best solution. It can write 800k floppies, communicate with a Mac Plus over a serial Appletalk connection and get directly on the internet with Classilla. It also has a SCSI port on the back so you can swap external hard drives back and forth.

If you want to make software for the Mac Plus, you'll need Macintosh Programmer's Workshop:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/...mpw-3-0-to-3-5

There were also several third party companies that released programming IDEs like Code Warrior, but those can be harder to find. You can also do some pretty advanced stuff using Hypercard and Applescript.

If you do want to mess with floppies, it is possible, in a hackish sort of way, to write Macintosh 400k/800k floppy disks with the kryoflux and a normal 3.5" drive: https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1090

Although I really, really wish the tools for this would improve.

Though it's $139, the FloppyEmu is the best thing for compact Macs of that vintage: https://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

It can emulate either an external floppy drive, or an HD20 floppy port connected hard drive. Very useful little beastie... disk images are stored on an SD card.

It also works great with the Apple //c and IIgs.

Pickup a G3 mac. They work nice as in-between-ers. They can write 800k floppy images just fine. Only the PURE SCSI zip drives work on the plus. The parallel/scsi combo drives do not work.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

BMOW Floppy emu as posted earlier is probably the easiest and quickest method, especially if you have no other vintage computers at your disposal. Just toss a disk image on the SD card and you're set to go.

Personally I like floppy disks and the real retro experience, so I have a Beige G3 (with OS9) setup to make disks, and to serve a localtalk network to the rest of my classic Mac fleet (and my Apple IIgs).

The Beige G3 and I believe the "Wallstreet" (or maybe it was the Wallstreet II) G3 PowerBooks are the NEWEST Mac's to support the 800k GCR disk format (and only under OS9 and older, no GCR support in OSX). So if you want to go that route, look for something like that or older. With the correct hardware/software, an Apple II (with an 800k floppy drive) can also be made to write 800k Mac disk images, however that can be pretty darn fiddly, not the route I'd suggest for a beginner.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Appreciate the input, I live in a 200 SQ FT tiny house so space is at a premium, I don't have any vintage computers my oldest system right now is a 2011 MacBook Pro. I will go with that "Floppy Emu" pretty cool little device.

I use an iomega usb floppy and can access HFS disks, transfer files and apply disk image files with a program called HFVExplorer which was made in 1999 but still works on windows 10. No issues with it working to transfer files to my SE/30.

Quote Originally Posted by wib View Post
    I use an iomega usb floppy and can access HFS disks, transfer files and apply disk image files with a program called HFVExplorer which was made in 1999 but still works on windows 10. No issues with it working to transfer files to my SE/30.
    Won't work with a Plus and it's 800k disks, there's no PC drives that will do the GCR encoding required by them. It will work just fine for 1.44mb HFS disks on SE/FDHD's and FDHD upgraded Mac II's and anything newer though.
    An iomega USB Zip on a PC and a SCSI Zip for the Mac Plus is another good option though.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.