Image Map Image Map
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Nascom

Blog Entries

Pretty sure it was the only nascom yahoo group I could find. I'll try again.

Do you happen to have any dumps of the naspen ROMs? I'm curious to see how they match up with my machine here.

Blog Entries

One other question.

The full field of characters does not quite fit on my monitor. Is there any way to trim the size of the 'screen'? I've tried adjusting my monitor controls but I end up with the final line at the bottom being hallway obscured and a little bit of the rightmost text cut off.

Blog Entries

Argh. Why did I have to try it!

I decided to enter my Nascom-1 into the retrobattlestations 4k week contest. It's on a solid piece of plywood so I just lifted it down. However the buffer board tipped forward. I picked it back up carefully and checked wires.. all looks good.. but now when we power up after hitting reset I get a display full of solid bars and what looks like lines bouncing down them. I don't *think* it's anything I did.. probably something on the buffer or RAM board that died in between last use. I put the Nascom to 'internal' settings for RAM etc and it fired right up.. so my problem is definitely in either or both of those two boards. I guess I'll take this opportunity to replace that batty 368 chip I found last time and see if I can get that Nascom word processor thingie running.

Blog Entries

Must've been one of the 368s. I swapped one with no difference, then swapped the one at IC8 and it fired right up.

I was hoping E B800 would give me Naspen (remembered the name) but no luck. Entering E B800 just gives me a frozen screen. BASIC still works.

Whew.

Blog Entries

Found it.

First, I found the Naspen manual. It mentioned that for the ROMs to work on memory series 1 board, I needed to have a jumper from P5 to decode pad 16. So I looked but noticed there was no jumper - the board has been modified with an IC I cannot flip around to see the model of. But I did notice that decode pad 16 was filled in, so I looked behind, and discovered a jumper wire running to it from another place on the memory board that had broken off. Resoldered and voila:

20180321_212845.jpg

Quite primitive! And annoying, given that every keypress 'bounces' the whole screen.

I guess I should probably get around to restoring either tape or serial functionality... I'd really like to try out some other Nascom software, especially the games!!

You're still moving forwards with it...

I am slowly getting round to making a Compact Flash interface for the parallel port. Just about finished the customisation of NAS-DOS for the Compact Flash - so I will get it burnt into an EPROM shortly and then hook up the hardware - just A CF socket, a few resistors and a cable to the PIO/Parallel socket.

The trouble is - real work keeps getting in the way!

Dave