Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first Sol-20!

Blog Entries

Default My first Sol-20!

At last after years and years of.. well.. buying other stuff first, I finally bought a Sol-20 (thanks Brian!). It arrived today and appears to be in great physical condition. I apologize for the poor photo quality.. my Samsung Note 4 took a swim this summer and is literally falling apart.

20171023_164808.jpg 20171023_164853.jpg 20171023_164904.jpg
    20171023_164949.jpg 20171023_164956.jpg 20171023_165045.jpg

Pretty exciting. This has always been one of the big ones for me. It's quite something to see it in the flesh. And to lift it.. ugh! I cannot believe how heavy it is!! The CPU is not original (date code is 1981). And there were no additional cards other than the personality module installed.

The first thing I did, naturally, was open it and check out the PSU. Voltages appeared to be good and stable on power up. Next I connected it to the computer and fired up. Nada. Just a flash on the screen. I decided to check voltages on the chips. While I was doing that, suddenly the screen came up full of Ps. I shut the machine down, reseated all the chips in the immediate area, and then fired up again. I had the > and cursor prompt!

But the cursor does not flash, and the keyboard does not produce anything -- just a steady 'Upper Case' light that you can't turn off. In videos it looks like the cursor is supposed to flash. A third time I powered up, I got some zeros onscreen with the cursor. Subsequent powerups seem to be consistently producing the > and solid cursor. I did try disconnecting the keyboard to see if it had any effect.. none. I'm sure the keyboard will have foam issues.. but I think it unlikely every single key has failed completely. Even my Lisa had a few goodish ones. Going to use my digital group machine's video card to vet these. I'm impressed I'm even getting as far as I have. I'm kind of suspicious of the RAM at this point.. going to vet those with my digital group z80's video card.

All in all very happy with it. Glad I could find a fellow Canadian to buy from -- US shipping would have been insane! My first S100 computer.. woohoo! I own well over 150 machines now but this is one of the big ones; special just because of the people involved (esp. Felsenstein) and some of the firsts it achieved. Now time to break out that 260+ page manual....
    Last edited by falter; October 23rd, 2017 at 05:15 PM.

Oh, it's your *first* S-100 machine...that explains why you think it's heavy

Congrats! The SOL-20 is a nice machine. Note that the power supply is foldback limited, so if you plug in a card with a shorted tantalum cap, it'll fold back instead of blowing the cap apart (usually). The keyboard will definitely need refoamed, and it's 100% possible that zero keys work. I've got a Key-Tronic parallel keyboard like that, not a single key works, but you can get keypresses with a bit of mylar on a pencil eraser.

Blog Entries

It makes my digitap group box seem featherweight! I expected it to have *some* heft to it but not this.. feels like they stuffed it with lead!

I will get more of those foam pads and get the keyboard rebuilt. I don't suppose there's any way to fake keypresses just to see if the machine is responsive? The non-blinking cursor is bothering me.

Blog Entries

Might be wrong.. found a video with a non-blinking cursor. I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere to enable/disable that.

Blog Entries

Darn.. I can't find those capacitive foam pads anywhere now.. anyone know if they're still being offered somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Darn.. I can't find those capacitive foam pads anywhere now.. anyone know if they're still being offered somewhere?
    Check out my recent purchase and restore of a Sol-20. What a machine! Thanks for the introduction Martin! http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...Sol-20-Restore

Sun 320-1018 keyboard availability

You can get the keyboard that I used as a parts donor here; http://www.memoryxsun.com/3201018.html They are ~$25 buck$ and $8 - $20 for shipping.

Blog Entries

I opened mine up.. yikes.

20171023_203529.jpg

I'm assuming they were all shiny like the one in the upper left. Yikes. Yeah, I think this will be a replacement deal.

Thanks for putting me onto the Sun keyboard option -- there *was* a guy on ebay selling hundreds of new pads... no idea what happened or if it was just an NOS supply that ran out.. should have bought extras!

I did for kicks take the shiny pad from that one key (the foam disintegrated) and very carefully glued it to the battered pad of the T key. I just wanted to see if I had any problems beyond these with the keyboard. Unfortunately the computer chose that moment to throw a curveball.. it started throwing up screenfuls of garbage. I did hit the T key once and saw a whole screen of Ts appear.. but by the time I got done playing with RAM and back to normal the T key was dormant again (probably my glue job failed) and now nothing. Oh well.. the computer seems mostly ok, which is a victory in and of itself.

I was reading your post... my keyboard has the discs stuck to the actual keystem like yours. I was trying to figure out how early my machine is.. there's no serial number plate or anything on it to help.

I've always bought foam pads from this seller....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121266887970

No connection, just a happy customer

Cheers,
    Dave

You can often just type on the keyboard PCB pads with your fingertips if you just want to get some reaction from it.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Might be wrong.. found a video with a non-blinking cursor. I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere to enable/disable that.
    I seem to remember it's one of the DIP switches - the manual will certainly clarify.