Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 2000 Monitor

Default Tandy 2000 Monitor

I'm a newbie when it comes to the Tandy 2000. I know that monitor options are limited. You can use the VM-1 for monochrome and the CM-1 for color. There are a few other multisync monitors that are capable of doing the job as well, but they are not easy to come by these days. The issue lies in the 2000's unusual horizontal sync freq of 26.4 kHz.

Here is an adapter I found on eBay which is supposed to handle the horizontal sync between 12 and 40 kHz. Anyone have an idea if this will work with the 2000?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GBS-821...D/192326537600

Darn pski I just sold a NEC Multisync a few months back that I actually used with my 2K when I had it. Building a monochrome adapter cable is actually not that hard, Just need a DIN connector to 9 pin wired up. But you need a real 9 pin monochrome type display. No composite. The technical reference manual has pinouts for both types of monitors. Hope this helps some
    *FrankG*
    Just a few old dust collectors that work! Sort of! Or when they decide to!
    TRS-80 Model III , Pentium 233 "Tweener"

Yup... that NEC automatically scans all frequencies between 15.5 kHz and 35 kHz.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Per Tandy Faxback document #1944, the pinout of the monitor connects are:

Color monitor on the graphics board:

1 - Ground
    2 - Ground
    3 - Red
    4 - Green
    5 - Blue
    6 - Intensity
    7 - Not connected
    8 - Horizontal Sync
    9 - Vertical Sync

Monochrome - 8pin DIN:

1 - Not Connected
    2 - Ground
    3 - Intensity
    4 - Horizontal Sync
    5 - Vertical Sync
    6 - Not Connected
    7 - Video Signal
    8 - Not Connected

The rest of the 2000's pinouts are also in the faq: http://www.cchaven.com/t2kfaq.txt

The early Multisyncs are a nice match for the 2000. I used a Multisync GS with mine for a while.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

I have a GBS-8200 V4.0 card I purchased for $20 on Wish. It didn't sync up to my MDA card (it would scroll the text vertically). To be fair, I didn't give it an honest shake, as I had a VGA card coming anyway, I may have miswired it or missed a setting (it didn't come with a manual). If you want to give it a go on your machine, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. The 8219 you linked is supposed to be a better board (and it was actually what I ordered and paid for, yet they sent the 8200 instead), so it may work better than the one I'm offering you.

There are quite a few threads about these converters on the forum, with some people getting them to work wonderful with the addition of a DAC, and others who had no luck. So, it's hit or miss.
    Last edited by zombienerd; October 29th, 2017 at 08:11 AM.
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

While I really cringe thinking back at all the poor shipping attempts at sending monitors (more than half didn't make it), there is a CM-1 currently on eBay with an OBO option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1-TANDY-...AAAOSwt4RZb8mE
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    While I really cringe thinking back at all the poor shipping attempts at sending monitors (more than half didn't make it), there is a CM-1 currently on eBay with an OBO option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1-TANDY-...AAAOSwt4RZb8mE
    It really depends on whom you're dealing with.

I've shipped dozens of monitors the last few years. That includes about ten NEC multisyncs (yes, I have a room full of them, almost new, i.e., hardly used. )

I've even shipped a 5151 to Lithuania.

Every one of them arrived in working order and undamaged. If you pack something correctly it will survive.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You missed my point. Thank you for being careful. But for every one of you, there is at least one guy who thinks 1 inch of stiff Styrofoam on each side of a 35 year old monitor is good enough.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    You missed my point. Thank you for being careful. But for every one of you, there is at least one guy who thinks 1 inch of stiff Styrofoam on each side of a 35 year old monitor is good enough.
    No, I didn't, I actually took your point and then made my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post

I've shipped dozens of monitors the last few years. That includes about ten NEC multisyncs (yes, I have a room full of them, almost new, i.e., hardly used. )

I've even shipped a 5151 to Lithuania.

Every one of them arrived in working order and undamaged. If you pack something correctly it will survive.
    I can vouch for Stones shipping got my NEC from him about 7 years ago and it arrived in great condition. Well done Dave!
    *FrankG*
    Just a few old dust collectors that work! Sort of! Or when they decide to!
    TRS-80 Model III , Pentium 233 "Tweener"