Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hello, hello. Allow me to introduce myself,

Default Hello, hello. Allow me to introduce myself,

My name is, Ian. 10 points to whoever knows the song I referenced!
    Anyway, I am new to the forum, but not to the hobby. I received my first computer in 2005 for Christmas when I was about 7. My father built it for me using spare parts he had lying around.
    I still have it today! It's runs a Celeron at about a GHz and upgraded from 512 to about 1152MB of RAM. I have swapped HDDs many times to keep the her running. I currently own a Tandy CoCo 2 with 64k, A Thinkpad 380ED running OS/2 Warp 3, I am building a MiniMax8085, and some S-100 kit boards are coming in the mail for to spend some time on making a Z80 CP/M machine. I enjoy watching the Computer Chronicles, LGR, 8-Bit Guy, Nostalgia Nerd, Retro Man Cave, and Dan Wood. I am also a General Class Ham Radio Operator and have quite the radio collection going I am active often around the digital segments of the bands. I have a twitter I tend to post to @KD2IXL. My latest acquisition has been an IBM 4707 Monitor, a 9 inch CRT from 1988 designed for the IBM Wheelwriter, It has a VGA connector and can handle resolutions up to 640X480. It monochrome and adorable, I want to use it to make a terminal! I am currently in college for networking and IT. I know Java, BASIC, and Bash scripting. I use linux, though my main driver computer is a Lenovo Yoga 700. I also have a couple HP 9000 workstations. The 712/16 doesn't POST. I can't My 715/64 doesn't have an HIL keyboard, it works, just can't use it.
    -Ian Litchfield KD2IXL

Welcome! If you dig around these forums, you'll find lots of cool little projects to build, like the RetroBrew PC 5150 Clone board, VGA cards, Adlib Clones, and the like. I'm also a General Ticket, K1FQA, and while I'm about twice your age, it's great to see younger folks getting into the hobby!
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004. Compaq Contura 4/25C.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, C64. Packard Bell Legend 20CD.

Quote Originally Posted by KD2IXL View Post
    My name is, Ian. 10 points to whoever knows the song I referenced!
    It can't be, Sympathy for the Devil, because that begins:

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Si it must be, Eminem's Hello.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Welcome. I enjoy the early HP PA-RISC systems (mostly because my first job out of college was on one), but yes, HP-HIL devices are getting pretty thin on the ground.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

5. Default

Hi Ian,

You might consider experiementing with RTTY, SSTV or "digital" morse encoding/decoding using vintage computers and vintage software - kind of a cross over thing that gets really interesting, really quickly. HAM radio integration with computers basically goes all the way back to the first days of practical home computers.

73s
    Mike Willegal
    KC1CKV

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It can't be, Sympathy for the Devil, because that begins:

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Si it must be, Eminem's Hello.
    That's why I almost thought it might be Mick Jagger, because I wouldn't (want to ) know the first thing about Mr Mathers.

But on topic I couldn't agree more with KC1CKV. Don't let anyone convince you that you have to have a Windows laptop and a TS2000 to do digital modes.

Something I've always wanted to do,but don't have time, is build a PSK-31 modem that could be used with sub-7MHz computers, waterfall and all, just to prove it could be done.

Blog Entries

Welcome! You never know which direction you end up. I have a project "in the freezer" to use a Commodore 64 to translate Morse Code from a short wave receiver. I also have a project on hold to capture weather-fax from another receiver. Right now I'm tied up with my Coco III system. Lots of work: little time!
    Rick Ethridge

Thanks for all the kind words, I had no clue I'd find other Hams on VCF. I have used quite a bit of JT65, I am going to participate in some RTTY contests next year. My ham hobby is a bit on the back burner because of school though. I just acquired a DEC VT320 from my networking professor, it's been sitting in the closet for 30 years can't wait to get that working, I tried using a modern Debian based distro to test it. I can input using "cat < /dev/ttyS0" and output with "echo test > /dev/ttyS0" I can login with it, but it freezes at the user prompt can't figure out why, it kinda works in VT52 mode but not in VT100? I also got the 712/60 working, it was a bad ram card. So I switched it with one from the 715, I want to throw NeXT on it, but I seemed to have misplaced the cable for my SCSI drive during my move. I also found out I have the right keyboard for the 715, I am missing the 10 pin adapter. I also forgot to mention that I am a bit of a ThinkPad enthusiast, still need a 701c though.
    Ian KD2IXL