Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on selling an Apple IIe

Default Advice on selling an Apple IIe

I've got an Apple IIe system that I'm thinking of selling. It's working, has two disk drives, a few internal expansion cards (floppy controller, Apple mouse interface, Grappler+ printer interface, SSB1 Super Serial Board, Applied Engineering Ramworks III), and a Monitor III with a matching stand. What I'm wondering is, what's the best way to sell a system like this? I was thinking eBay, but should I sell it all as a set? Should I sell the system and monitor separately? And should I look at selling any of the expansion cards on their own, or would it be better to leave them in and add value to the system?

My first thought is to keep the system together but sell the monitor separately (though I am not sure what I should do with the stand in that case). But I guess I don't know if they might be more valuable or a quicker sale as a set, or if any of the expansion cards might have more value on their own. There's also some software I might want to let go of as well, and I guess I'm not sure whether it would be better to include that with the system or sell it separately. Maybe I should just include the DOS disks?

The system was a local pick-up so I really have no idea what the Apple II market is like online. I got a IIc in the same pick-up that I will be hanging on to, but I thought I could save some room and make some money letting go of the IIe.

Absolute top dollar? Split it up and sell everything tested/working. You'll probably have it up many months before it's all sold.

Quick sale, everything gone, good money? Sell it as a tested/working complete machine, offer international shipping even if it's through the Global Shipping Program.

For something in the middle, sell the system with all cards installed, monitor + stand, and disk drives all separately.

If you can find someone local or just do the sale here on the VC Forums, it's less headache overall, and while you do get a premium price with eBay, you also have the risk that someone will demand a refund, and you're paying 11-15% in eBay and PayPal fees.

Good things to think about.

I've just had the computer open again and remembered that I have some corrosion on the board that I have to deal with. It originally had a clock/calendar card installed and the battery had leaked... It didn't destroy any traces thankfully, but two of the card edge connectors have pins that are ruined. So I'll take care of that before completely deciding what to do with this, I guess.

My advice is don't sell it. I had several similar systems that I sold in recent years, and I regret it greatly. The market value for these is far below what it will be in coming years.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Blog Entries

Check out the "Sold Listings" on Ebay and I think you may be disappointed with the amounts. Unless you are really short of cash I think the hassle of shipping just isn't worth the return in cash....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Check out the "Sold Listings" on Ebay and I think you may be disappointed with the amounts. Unless you are really short of cash I think the hassle of shipping just isn't worth the return in cash....
    I already had. To me, it looked like they were doing pretty well, if a bit inconsistent in final value. But like I said I hadn't been following the Apple II market, so I guess I don't know historically if this is good or not, only that it looks like I could probably get more out of this than any of my other vintage systems at the moment.

But like I said, since I have the IIc and I'm not really likely to do anything on the IIe that I can't do on the IIc, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to hang on to the larger system.

Actually I must've been looking at auctions with something special about them, I guess. Looked again and I'm seeing values like half what I was looking at yesterday.

Although I decided to look for the monitor stand by itself. Just the stand. And those prices are through the roof! Maybe I should just list the stand and keep the rest for now.

Yeah, I had a half dozen of those silly stands. Mine were yellowed to the point of dark orange or brown and I still got more for them than several whole computer systems.

Crazy. Actually, I think I'll list the stand and the monitor first, although perhaps as separate auctions. Then keep the system until I can fix those two card slots and probably sell that as a unit along with the disk drives at a later date.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Check out the "Sold Listings" on Ebay and I think you may be disappointed with the amounts.
    Having an attractive presentation and photos makes a BIG difference.

My number one tip, if you do nothing else is don't take pictures at night! Take pictures with as much daylight as you can.

Then think about an attractive arrangement, on a desk or table, with a neutral-colored wall as background.

Don't take closeups with a wide-angle lens. Shoot everything at 50-55 mm as much as you can in order to minimize distortion.

I think it's the ultimate irony that people don't make an attractive presentation of the computers and company that were all about marketing and design and being eye-catching.