Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on selling an Apple IIe

I couldn't agree more. Especially with these computers, the people that pay the highest are more interested in how it looks than anything else.

I kind of feel dishonest about the last ][e I sold. I sold it with a Monitor // and two Disk ][. I fetched the top dollar for that kind of setup at the time, mainly I think because I staged pictures showing the computer set up and operating in a setting in the way I remember seeing them actually set up in someone's home. But the computer itself had significant cosmetic damage. I was not trying to conceal it, but I suspect no one noticed it.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    ]mainly I think because I staged pictures showing the computer set up and operating in a setting in the way I remember seeing them actually set up in someone's home. But the computer itself had significant cosmetic damage. I was not trying to conceal it, but I suspect no one noticed it.
    Yep! I wanted to keep my post short, otherwise this would have been the next thing I was going to say-- show it setup as though it's actually being used, switched on, with a program running on the monitor.

Monitor and stand are now both sold. They did not go for very high amounts, but I had shipping at the calculated rate on both auctions which came out understandably high on the monitor, and surprisingly high on the stand, so that was probably a big factor in people backing down their bids at lower amounts than in previous auctions. Still, it surprises me that people are even willing to go as high as they did for mine on that little U-shaped piece of plastic.

I decided to sell the mouse card separately. It's up on eBay right now along with the accompanying mouse, manual, and MousePaint disk. I'm a little bit reluctant to get rid of it so I put a somewhat high Buy-It-Now price on the lot, so if it sells at all it will be for an amount that makes it worthwhile to me. But that's the main reason for my other thread about modifying the Macintosh mouse for the IIc, since I figured if someone did buy my mouse package, I'd still want something I could use (even if I don't plan on using it often).

As for the system, I'm still not 100% sure I want to sell the rest of it. But I'm starting to think, if I did, it might be a good strategy to offer it as an ADTPro-ready setup. It has the Super Serial card installed, and I've realized you can use a standard 9-pin to 25-pin PC modem cable to connect ADTPro to it, so I could show it set up and working with that, and even include the cable so I can say all the buyer would need would be a PC with a serial port that can run a semi-recent version of Java. But in that event, I am still not sure if I want to sell the RamWorks III and the Grappler+ separately or with the system. Actually, I'm fairly sure I'd want to sell the Grappler+ separately, but simply because I don't really see that as being an attractive buying point for very many people. I wouldn't get much for it separately, either, but at least I'd know if I did sell it separately, it'd go to someone who actually wants it.
    Last edited by jmetal88; November 12th, 2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling

A lot of people seem to be bamboozled by the words "FREE SHIPPING" and eBay must be aware of this the way they promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmetal88 View Post
    ...and surprisingly high on the stand...
    Dimensional weight. FedEx & UPS charge it on all packages and the USPS prices shoot up above a certain size.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    A lot of people seem to be bamboozled by the words "FREE SHIPPING" and eBay must be aware of this the way they promote it.
    So it would seem. I've never understood that, myself - what's so hard about comparing total (price + S&H)?

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Dimensional weight. FedEx & UPS charge it on all packages and the USPS prices shoot up above a certain size.
    Yeah, it was a 4 lb box, but big enough to require dimensional weight which more than doubled the price it would've been in a 'small box' (every dimension under 12").