Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac SE boot failure

Blog Entries

Exclamation Mac SE boot failure

I guess you can tell whatís happening by this issues thread. I have a Mac SE that wonít boot. All I get when attempting to boot is a floppy disk icon in the center of the screen. The screen icon keeps cycling between being blank to showing a floppy icon with a large question.

This is one of the computers given to me as part of a pickup truck load of various computers,peripherals, and components. Once Ed and I bought a RAM upgrade, we also upgraded the operating system. All in all, the computer worked fine until we moved from Vegas to Eugene Oregon. When I tried to show how the computer would allow formatting both an Apple, or PC, depending on what a user wanted.

Later on, the same day, I attempted to locate the previously created floppies in order. Unfortunately, I wasnít able to find anything that would boot the computer. The only floppies I had for the Mac were some games or productivity apps.

So, thatís all I have. I donít have any useful floppy disks that would allow me to attempt any kind of restore operation. Does anyone have the tools I need to restore operation of the computer. Or, is there any kind of restoration software I can get to repair the computerís operating system?

As always, Thanks Much.

Thomas
    My Collection: IBM 5150 with authentic working 5161 Expansion Unit and addditional stock IBM 5150. One IBM 5160 XT - One IBM 5155 1 - Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, Original authentic IBM 5100 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor, and anything else that catches my eye.

Blog Entries

OK, I have been expecting news regarding the replacement of the machines internal hard disk. I really don’t know much about the internals of the Mac SE systems, so any info you can provide will greatly appreciated. Still, I will also like to know where, and how much a new hard disk will cost me.

Again, thanks much.

Thomas
    My Collection: IBM 5150 with authentic working 5161 Expansion Unit and addditional stock IBM 5150. One IBM 5160 XT - One IBM 5155 1 - Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, Original authentic IBM 5100 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor, and anything else that catches my eye.

If you can hear the hard drive spin up, but nothing happens, the drive could be suffering from stiction. The drives that many cracker box macs shipped with used stepper motors with linear heads, as opposed to later designs with voice coils and a head stack that swings on a pivot. The stepper motor / linear head design is subject to sticking because the lubrication eventually breaks down and becomes sticky or dry, preventing the head from moving properly.

I've read about a few people attempting to clean the head rails and re-lubricating them with varying success rates, but this is a very delicate process. If you get any sort of contamination on the platters, the drive is hosed. Though I guess it wouldn't be a loss since the drive doesn't work to begin with.

Anyway, you have a few options for a replacement drive.

1) You can get another 50 pin SCSI hard drive and replace the dead one with it. 50 pin SCSI drives aren't cheap ($50 was the lowest I could find on fleabay) and are nearly the same age as your current drive, meaning they could also fail soon after you bought it.

2) You can get a 68 pin or SCA80 SCSI drive and use an adapter to 50 pin SCSI. 68 and SCA80 SCSI drives are newer and cheaper than 50 pin drives, and adapters are also cheap. The caveat with these is you won't be able to use the full capacity of the drive, and they can be noisy. Later SCSI drives tended to run at 10/15k RPM. I've used both 68 pin and SCA80 drives on old 68k macs without any problems, just none as old as a Mac SE. The only 68k machines I have right now are an LC III and a Performa 600.

3) You can get one of those SCSI2SD OR SCSI2CF boards which allow you to use an SD/CF card instead of spinning rust. This is the most expensive option and compatibility is not guaranteed. I've seen several cases of cracker box macs refusing to see the adapter boards, or bugs in the firmware on the adapter boards preventing them from working properly.

If you need OS install floppies, I'm sure there are several members here which can ship you a set of disks.

Blog Entries

Default Mac SE boot discs

I have two things that I need help with. 1st. I need to get a replacement for the hard disc for my Mac SE. The next is that I need to source out some other hard disc replacements for my Apple ][e. If there are any hard disc options available for me and my computers, please send me a private message.

Again, thanks...
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If you can hear the hard drive spin up, but nothing happens, the drive could be suffering from stiction.
    It's actually the opposite! If you can hear the hard drive spin up it's not suffering from stiction.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I would google system 7.5 network access floppy and write that image to a single diskette. Then try to boot the machine with that.