Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HEXTIr - The TI HexBus SD Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Jim, any news? Cash is burning a hole in my pocket ...
    My apologies, I forgot about this thread (I normally update the AtariAge.com one), and the email about a new post went to spam, where I just saw it.

I put the Arduino version of the code and a wiring diagram on github.com/go4retro/HEXTir

I have not made much progress on a bootloader, and I am not comfy yet with the state of the code to just produce a working batch that can't be updated, but I am still looking on how I might reduce the bootloader size.

Summer, though, does slow down things. Still, if you have an arduino and avrdude, you can wire up the prototype.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I contacted a couple of weeks ago and got the following response. Not sure if this is promising or just teasing use.

RETRO Innovations
    http://store.go4retro.com/
    I modified the source to compile and run on an Arduino, while I work on finding a small enough bootloader.

The code is on github.
    -- RETRO Innovations, Contemporary Gear for Classic Systemswww.go4retro.comstore.go4retro.com
    I'm not sure how to take your response. The code is on GitHub, as I noted. Did you find it? Is that not what you were looking for?

I can really only move forward when I either:

a) find a small bootloader
    b) move to a larger uC (read: more $$$)
    c) have folks test the existing code enough, with bug fixes, that the code is good enough to not need to be patched/upgraded all the time, and thus a bootloader is not absolutely needed.

Jim

And they'll probably go dark for another 3-4 months.
    Thanks for the positive attitude and respect for the other activities I'm engaged in.

Jim

I think most of us would agree, getting a reliable storage option for the TI 74/CC-40 would make these units so much more usable that cost isn't a critical factor. True if you were to say it would run over say $300 or more you might kill some market, but PROBABLY anything less that $200 would be outstanding! Less than a hundred bucks? Off the wall!

If a larger microchip/controller would do the job better, and nor drive costs up to a prohibitive level, go for it.

As for my response, if I was 10=20 years younger and my eyesight was better, I'd be building this and helping you test, but the developing cataracts and presbyopia has pretty much eliminated any chance of that. Sadly.

Thanks for the update and PLEASE keep plugging away.

One question, why a bootloader? My thinking is if you address the unit as the 74/40 does it should just "wake up" and read/write the data. Of course, please understand I'm a hardware guy and seriously NOT a coder or software sort of person.
    Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Quote Originally Posted by brain View Post
    My apologies, I forgot about this thread (I normally update the AtariAge.com one), and the email about a new post went to spam, where I just saw it.

I put the Arduino version of the code and a wiring diagram on github.com/go4retro/HEXTir

I have not made much progress on a bootloader, and I am not comfy yet with the state of the code to just produce a working batch that can't be updated, but I am still looking on how I might reduce the bootloader size.

Summer, though, does slow down things. Still, if you have an arduino and avrdude, you can wire up the prototype.

Jim
    I'll see what I can do with my limited skillz in the meantime. But I'm willing to put up with some inconvenience (and pay decently) for a relatively finished prototype. Nevertheless, this is great news for CC40 enthusiasts even in a rough incomplete form.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

One question, why a bootloader? My thinking is if you address the unit as the 74/40 does it should just "wake up" and read/write the data. Of course, please understand I'm a hardware guy and seriously NOT a coder or software sort of person.
    On uC devices, the "bootloader" is named for the historical reason, but it is used differently. An uC bootloader is typically a bit of code that can "re-program" the uC with new firmware, thus allowing the option to field update the code. Since this device has an SD card, the bootloader can scan the card for a special name program, and update the firmware. I use such a construct to design the HW without having all the SW bugs fixed, ship the unit, and then fix bugs with updates as people find them.

Jim

Okay, now that makes sense.

A little more thought on the emulator. A lot of people aren't that savvy so it should be as easy to use as say a thumb drive. Plug it in and it works. I know that's sort of the Shangri La of design, but still a good target to shoot for.

Fact of the matter why not a USB setup? Would be a bit more flexible.

Just a thought.
    Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/