Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: eBay Warning: Seller AAPro/XT-IDE Knockoffs

You are correct. Which is why it was weird that AAPro brought it up, and called themselves "a women". But whatever.

FYI most versions of XT-IDE have IDE connectors and work with real hard drives...

I'd rather save the old MFM and ESDI drives for machines that really need them. I've got a bunch of AT&T UNIX PCs in the shop at the moment, part of the challenge in repairing those is going to be finding enough good MFM drives for them!

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I'm saying this had nothing to do with gender aside from akward wording.
    Making fun of grammar is one of the great joys of forum life.

I'm glad the seller finally came around and did the right thing. So many people have done so much work on these retro projects, with little commercial payoff, that they deserve credit for the work they've done!

And, to wrap the whole stinking ordeal up, I reported aaproltd as a buyer: today I received the package back, the one I was forced into issuing a refund on. The buyer claimed that the UK Post Office had told them that I'd filled out the customs form improperly and that it was undeliverable as such. Well, it came back, and it says that it had 26.45GBP VAT and other fees due, and that the buyer never paid the charges. So, that answers the question of, "what kind of individual does this?"

So the cloner never possessed any of your PCBs? They just took the design files off the net, made some cosmetic changes, and the made their own run of boards?

I guess that might somehow be slightly less bad than essentially stealing the bare PCBs from you while claiming they were never delivered. Maybe their original plan was to build up your bare boards and sell them without alteration, but then decided they could save a few bucks on PCBs by not paying fees on your boards and getting a new batch made. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Blog Entries

I suspect that the buyer was anticipating that you'd fill out the customs form as "used socks, value 0".

YEA! Got my REAL XT-IDE card today from Glitchworks off from eBay. Thank you, beautiful job on the board. I believe in supporting the community.

Anymore when on ebay I specify US sellers. I'm not generally down on International sellers, but want to give the source who created it the first chance. I just see a ton of stuff from China flooding in. I don't see much design work coming from China, just knock offs of open source projects. Cheap seems like a good idea until we destroy the incentive of the creators.

Thanks again Glitch!

len

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    So the cloner never possessed any of your PCBs? They just took the design files off the net, made some cosmetic changes, and the made their own run of boards?
    Yes; again, this is 100% OK as long as they're posting their design files -- that's why the project is GNU GPL v3 licensed, I don't mind if people want to run their own boards and/or sell them, but if you make changes you're bound by the license to release your work, also under the GNU GPL v3 (or a later revision, should one come about).

I may look for a way to tack on to the GNU GPL v3 for the XT-IDE rev 4 such that anyone making their own version is obliged to keep a reference to the original project on the board somewhere. That way, when they lose interest in a month or a year or whatever, there will still be some reference back to the project writeup, the design thread(s) in the forums, and the GitHub repo(s) for the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I suspect that the buyer was anticipating that you'd fill out the customs form as "used socks, value 0".
    #1 benefit to the Global Shipping Program: not having to deal with buyers trying to get you to falsify customs forms and then sometimes wanting to cancel the order when you tell them you won't! I understand lying on customs is a common thing elsewhere in the world, but it's supposed to be Serious Business here in the US, and while XT-IDEs and whatnot are hobby stuff for me, I could see that coming back on my personal business if something happened (I report the XT-IDE stuff on taxes, I'm sure the government sees it as any other export of goods).

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    YEA! Got my REAL XT-IDE card today from Glitchworks off from eBay. Thank you, beautiful job on the board. I believe in supporting the community.
    And we appreciate the support Glad to hear you're happy with the board!

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    I don't see much design work coming from China, just knock offs of open source projects. Cheap seems like a good idea until we destroy the incentive of the creators.
    Pretty much all of my hobby work is just that -- stuff I'm personally interested in. It does add some amount of motivation to finish a project in a timely manner when I know that other people are wanting it, though. And, I suspect fewer people would be building XT-IDEs if you had to run your own boards and source your own parts. But yes, being able to sell kits and boards is what keeps kits and boards available.