Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: C65 in eBay...OMG!

Default C65 in eBay...OMG!

Ultra rare Commodore 65 + Ram-expansión/c65/dx64/c90 Prototype, working!

Never seen one so complete, seems to have every piece of hardware developed for this machine!

I guess that it's going to reach a much much higher price than it has right now...

That brings to my mind the ongoing Mega65 project, it has been going now for a couple of years but seems that they're close of their objectives.
    Last edited by jltursan; November 1st, 2017 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Forgot URL,...so excited!

That'll fetch Steve Jobs association kind of money assuming international bidders can all find it.

That's quite something. Too far out of my price range.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

How about we all put in for it and then just share custody?

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    How about we all put in for it and then just share custody?
    I wish we could do that with all our computers. Who wouldn't want to rotate their stock on a regular basis?

We half heartedly talked about jointly purchasing a city on another (larger) forum. I thought that was an excellent idea.

Blog Entries

Okay, about USD$17,000 now. Exactly what makes this so valuable? It isn't the first computer made by Commodore.
    What's surprising is the number of low- or no-feedback bidders.

What does this machine do that others won't?

Blog Entries

I've often wondered if a 'Vintage Computer Co-Op' could work... everyone pays a membership fee and units are acquired and shuffled around like library books. Shipping would be a definite downfall though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Okay, about USD$17,000 now. Exactly what makes this so valuable? It isn't the first computer made by Commodore.

What does this machine do that others won't?
    Probably not much.. I don't think being a prototype there's much software for the actual '65' part of it (as opposed to 64 emulation on it). But that's not what it's about.. it's about Commodore's dying days, a whole slew of what-ifs, and the ability to brag to all the other insane Commodore heads that you have something most of them don't.

Blog Entries

"insane Commodore heads"

Okay, that explains it.

Let's remember. How many Commodore 64 users were there?

We all looked forward to the C128 and some bought it and it was a great disappointment to everyone. It was an awesome machine, but almost no one took advantage of its best features. So everyone that didn't have it thought it was just an awkward almost-C64.

But then the C65 rumours came about. That was the dream machine everyone wanted. Every 64 user who read the specs of the C65 wanted one, badly. We passed on Amigas because we waited for the C65. We waited and waited and...

If everyone had been a PC user at that time and rumours came about an 8GHz 80486 based machine with SVGA graphics with 24 bit colour (remember that this is back when computers were something to be passionate about, they weren't same-ol commodities), would you be talking about insane IBM cloneheads? Of course not, because in retrospect it's not absurd to think AT clones are the thing to have.