Image Map Image Map

Thread: Very Early Apple II+

Blog Entries

Default Very Early Apple II+

Posted this on applefritter.. thought I'd post here in case:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192350755978

I think it may have been legit.. pretty sure the power keycap keyboards were still in production in mid-79 on the regular IIs, so probably that came over to the first +es. Not sure about the PSU.. the serial seems a bit low, unless they were renumbered for the II+.

EBay's a bit weird with Buy It Nows... if you go to the listing it says $699 but in the email telling me I missed it, it says it sold for $400.

I offered a bit less than that. Probably was worth more in terms of the individual components, plus the cachet for being early. Another time another day I might have bought it outright but it *is* just a II+ at the end of the day, was very dirty and the PSU switch was drilled in up top. And I'm saving my beans for something more special at the moment. But, probably the lowest serial number on record thus far. And there's not really any way without the original owner to verify provenance. On that subject, what do you guys think?

www.watchcount.com says item 192350755978 did sell for $400. I don't know how they get that data that you normally can't see.

Indeed from what I remember at the time, the first plusses were just standard ][s with a different ROM and lid badge. Also, I don't know if they all came with a language card but every one I saw like that had one. Not all the later ones (with the flat power light) that I saw did.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    www.watchcount.com says item 192350755978 did sell for $400. I don't know how they get that data that you normally can't see.
    Maybe they get that same email.

Blog Entries

Yeah $400 seems right for that. The keyboard alone is probably $200. I just didn't want to spend that much on that.

If I'd aseen it I'd a been tempted to buy it, swap keyboards with my ][+, clean it up and sell it for $400.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Strange.

I have an apple ][+ on my site and in the VCF marketplace for $399.95 completely tested, with a Saturn memory board and a Disk ][ drive and interface card, all original Apple stuff and this who-knows-if-it-works barn find sells?

I was even thinking of throwing one of my no-slot clock modules in it.

People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity....
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Blog Entries

I think this is really all about the bragging rights of having the lowest serial number out there. The Apple II registry on diskemulation's lowest is in the 900s.. this one is in 600s.

Did the Apple II+ serial numbers start from 0 (or 1), or did they continue the numbering from the Apple II? If they continued the numbering, there is something not quite right about this one, as I have two Apple II (non-plus) with serial numbers around 10000.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I think this is really all about the bragging rights of having the lowest serial number out there. The Apple II registry on diskemulation's lowest is in the 900s.. this one is in 600s.
    Well, that's a good reason to spend money on a tawdry bit of petty fame. Perhaps it will function as a doorstop as well.

What happens when one in the 500s is found?

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. To me, a non-functional computer is an abomination.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.