Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weitek co-processor compatibility

Default weitek co-processor compatibility

Hi,

My 80386DX mother has a co-processor socket, which I believe is meant for a Weitek chip, as the BIOS has an option for Weitek co-processor, which currently shows "Absent". Can I put a 80387 in this socket? Or, assuming that I can find a Weitek chip to put in the socket, will apps written for the 80387 be able to use it? Can't really find anything specific on the Internet regarding this.

Hello, the 80387 and Weitek are not pin compatible. They are also not software compatible. They need different sockets. They need different software as well. Please compare the number of pins on your board with both coprocessor to see which one fits. There is also only a few software which benefits from the Weitek, there is much more for 80387.

Intel 80387 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80387/index.html
    Weitek 3167 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/3167/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    Hello, the 80387 and Weitek are not pin compatible. They are also not software compatible. They need different sockets. They need different software as well. Please compare the number of pins on your board with both coprocessor to see which one fits. There is also only a few software which benefits from the Weitek, there is much more for 80387.

Intel 80387 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80387/index.html
    Weitek 3167 http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/3167/index.html
    Thanks. Maybe I will save and get another board with a proper 80387 socket. Weitek chips are being sold on eBay for $30-$40, not really worth it.

Then maybe better get a 486 DX board with DX processor, there the coprocessor is included already. And on some rare boards you even can add the Weitek 4167 as 2nd coprocessor...

Blog Entries

Weitek socketed boards are very few and far between, I have only 1 with chip installed. They Weitek was the fastest coprocessor option until the time of the 486/33+ with built in FPU.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Almost every board with a 3167 socket that I've ever seen can accept an i387 as well.
    Do you have documentation for your board? A Photo?
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

This is the photo of the board. The coprocessor socket is highlighted in blue.

IMG_20171022_155020.jpg

I do not have the documentation for this board. It was purchased from eBay a few years ago but I only played with it recently.

As far as I'm aware no 3167s with 2 rows of pins were ever made so your board cannot accept a Weitek, this is a 387 socket. This is typical of these sort of Far Eastern boards. They had a base assembly with the same silkscreen, and configured them differently to different buyers. This is why it's written 386/486 on it. The same board you have could also be configured to be a 486. You can see around your co-processor socket there is a row of holes to put pins in. This was for putting a Weitek socket but yours wasn't configured that way.

By the way 1ST1 many boards had a 387 socket inside a Weitek's. So it looked like one socket but it really was two in one. With the choice of using either a 387 or Weitek...
    • The only computer from my childhood that I'm missing is an Olivetti M380-40... Please help me find a solution to this problem
    • Looking for pictures of the following Olivetti computers: M380 W, M380 XP4, M400-60, M480... Complete list: http://pastebin.ca/3629976

Quote Originally Posted by 6885P5H View Post
    As far as I'm aware no 3167s with 2 rows of pins were ever made so your board cannot accept a Weitek, this is a 387 socket.
    Thanks. Interestingly the BIOS has an option for a Weitek co-processor. Maybe the BIOS is shared across different models. I will be purchasing a 80387 just to see whether it can work

Blog Entries

For the day, the Weitek BIOS option was not uncommon, even if the board didn't support it.