Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM L40SX Question

Default IBM L40SX Question

It looks like I'm going to be picking up a very cheap L40SX laptop tomorrow, and cosmetically it looks very nice. What worries me is that it doesn't come with the ac adaptor. Is there a cheap suitable replacement I can get? Or is there any way to replace the original battery with something more common? Like AA batteries or something?

Cheap chinese "universal charger", hopefully paired with a 6.3mm Toshiba plug adapter. Switch it to 15V, hook up the adapter, and bam! Fully working AC adapter for the L40SX. Congratulations on getting one by the way! Only the battery pack will be hard to replace... These apparently die too easy.
    Join your local penny pincher movement today!

Keep in mind that none of the original Conner hard drives work anymore. To have a functional machine you need to replace the hard drive and replace the CMOS battery.

For extra credit you can rebuild the main battery and replace the small 50 mini-amp hour memory backup battery.

I'm definitely going to be replacing the cmos battery and hard drive. What kind of hard drive can I replace it with? Just standard IDE? I'll dig around in my stash of cords and see if I have any 15v chargers laying around. I must have something that'll work. Are there any instructions on how to rebuild the battery? I'd like to try that just to get it fully working, but I'd have no idea where to start...

Google is your friend ... there is no new ground being covered here.

You will find this link useful: http://www.brutman.com/L40SX_DOM/L40SX_DOM_Upgrade.html

Just picked it up and it's looking great. I guess the first thing to do is get the power adapter to turn it on. I found the following Toshiba one, but I just wanted to make sure it'll work before I order it. The battery is also bulging quite a bit, and is actually starting to crack a little bit. If someone can point me in the right direction to try and refurb the battery I'll try that too

https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-Toshiba-1...0AAOSwwqBZ3tjb

Can anyone tell me if that power supply will work? Or if not, post a link for one that will?

I might have power supplies...

If you have one that will work, I'd definitely be interested.

15V? 6.3x3.0mm? Of course it will work. Just like I said, I use a universal charger for switching at 15V to a 6.3x3.0mm plug in order to fit the charger into my L40SX.
    Join your local penny pincher movement today!