Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reworking / replacing a Dallas DS1286 Watchdog RTC

Yeah, it’s for that edge that protrudes just enough to keep the dog in the socket.

It’s so annoying.

I volunteer as tribute, can test for you.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    The prototypes came in and got built up last night:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HCrzGQM.jpg[/g]!
    Looks great !

There must be something else wrong my my indigo2, I get the startup chime after changing out the RAM, but no video. So I dug out Amy's IMPACT indigo2 which of course works fine with the RTC/Watchdog. I tested the Elan graphics board from the non-IMPACT machine which works fine in the IMPACT machine. so more troubleshooting to do there!

I've set the time and date on the IMPACT indigo2 with the reworked module. I'm almost 100% certain it'll be fine, since I was able to find the full datasheet for the DS1284 (the chip inside a DS1286) and confirmed clock crystal capacitance, but I like to test things before unleashing them on other hobbyists

It works! Left the machine unplugged since the last post, came up with the correct date and time! Here's a poor picture of the module installed in the IMPACT indigo2:

The battery holder clears the metal bracket, so when the battery does eventually die, you don't have to try and remove the module to change it. That works out well

The other indigo2 turns out to be fine as well, it just didn't like my choice of RAM. I'd stolen 64MB parity RAM out of a SPARCstation IPX, apparently that's not what it wants. It came up with the RAM from the IMPACT indigo2 installed. I did smell what seemed like a previously burned up RIFA cap stink from the PSU, so I'm going to take that apart. But, these little modules are pretty much good to go. I've got one spare prototype if someone needs one right this minute.

Just ordered the panelized production run of these. Should be here in a week or two.

Nice, there has been some interest on irix.cc, let me know what you're asking, and i'll relay.

Thanks

Should be like the other modules, $10 for the repair board (includes crystal, battery socket, and battery...crystal and battery socket installed, drop of epoxy to hold the crystal in place, back trimmed and filed so it'll sit flat). I don't have any spares to do pre-made modules but if folks want to send them to me I'll refurb and test them for $25.