Image Map Image Map

Thread: AST Six Pack Plus joystick IC's...

Default AST Six Pack Plus joystick IC's...

Discovered that at least two of my AST 6 Pack cards are lacking the IC's for reading the joystick port.

The manual for the short card version says you need an 558CP chip & an 74LS244 chip.

The manual for the long card version just says you need to purchase the "upgrade" from AST, without identifying the chips.

So... looking at both cards and they both have an empty 16-pin (558CP) socket & 20-pin (74LS244) socket.

Can anyone verify this? Thanks!

The 558 is the standard quad timer chip used on every gameport so its 99,99% sure that it would work.
    If you are looking to buy it its also sold with different letters before and after the main "558".
    Mostly you will find the NE558 and KA558, the 74LS244 is also very easy to get.

I used an NTE926 and 244 to upgrade my AST Six Pak Plus long card, they worked out fine. The NTE926 is NTE's part designation for its 558 clone.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pietja View Post
    The 558 is the standard quad timer chip used on every gameport so its 99,99% sure that it would work.
    If you are looking to buy it its also sold with different letters before and after the main "558".
    Mostly you will find the NE558 and KA558, the 74LS244 is also very easy to get.
    Yep, found some 558CP's & 74LS244's and these worked out great.