Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a millimeter?

Blog Entries

Default What's a millimeter?

I recently took advantage of what seemed to be a good deal from a US eBay storefront for some 200x120x75 mm project boxes--a good size for some of my stuff. What I (promptly) received were boxes that measure perhaps 75x40x25 mm. When contacted, the seller admits that he doesn't have any of the item advertised for sale and that he found the measurements "confusing".

I blame schools in the US for ignoring the metric system.

Huh? Did he just search by image for stuff by the same manufacturer, and picked one that sort of looked right, or what?

Blog Entries

That's not really ignorance of measurement system, that's straight up laziness and not wanting to put in the effort to sell the item. Because while using metric measurements, when you grew up with imperial ones, can be a bit confusing, it is not rocket science, a 30 second google search would have helped them get it right, or at least much closer than it really was.

Did they refund you at least?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Refund is in the works. Now I've got to find a seller who has the real thing at a decent price...

It looks like he measured, using a metric ruler, thinking it was inches and not being able
    to multiply by 2.54, multiplied by 3 ( close enough? ).
    Dwight

Blog Entries

No, the dimensions are listed in mm in the advertisement (no imperial units at all) and the most charitable explanation is that he slipped a decimal, although that's probably not what actually happened.

Blog Entries

Every tape measure and ruler has English and metric on it since forever.

The sizes the seller sent were not even close.

I went to school a long time ago and the metric system was never ignored. Metric should be pretty easy to learn and understand since it is based on factors of 10. US systems are a mess that remind me of grammar rules made up as you go along.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I recently took advantage of what seemed to be a good deal from a US eBay storefront for some 200x120x75 mm project boxes--a good size for some of my stuff. What I (promptly) received were boxes that measure perhaps 75x40x25 mm. When contacted, the seller admits that he doesn't have any of the item advertised for sale and that he found the measurements "confusing".

I blame schools in the US for ignoring the metric system.
    Bad seller on eBay == bad schools in the US? Seems like quite a stretch.

You get what you pay for. Why I use electronic distributors for project parts where I have a known manufacturer and their part number for repeat sourcing. Something rarely found or accurate on eBay.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Bad seller on eBay == bad schools in the US? Seems like quite a stretch.
    Bad US *retailer* on eBay. Of course the reason could be sloppiness or laziness, but seeing as how the repercussions from that are financial, it doesn't make a lot of business sense. Likely the seller had no idea of what he was doing.