Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's a millimeter?

Blog Entries

Yabut, there was an incentive for the liquor business. They switched from 4/5 quart to 750 ml and the PR was that it really didn't make a difference. But 4/5 quart is 757 ml, so the extra 7 ml was quietly pocketed as they sold the "metric" fifth for the same price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Heck, my Ford truck has a mixture of both SAE and Metric. Fun times.
    I had an '84 F150 that was like that. What year is your Ford?

A nautical mile is no worse or better than a meter. Both are based on a north/south distance. It is degrees and minutes but then the second is 1/60 of something that is 1/60 of something else.
    I wouldn't put a nautical mile in the same category as a statute mile.
    Dwight

For some things, fractional sizes make more sense than decimal. Metric hardware is a mess to deal with. There is no smooth transition between different strengths of hardware or thread sizes. Sometimes decimal numbers are only convenient for writing down but not designing.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Here in Canada everything is metric except most building supplies,
    Aren't your ovens (and thus cooking recipes) marked in degrees Fahrenheit? Also according to Wikipedia (which we know is always 100% correct), in Canada fruit and vegetables are sold by the pound, railroad distances are in miles, birth weight of newborn babies is announced in pounds and ounces, and the sizes of houses, condos, and apartments (and thus also carpeting and floor tile) are measured in square feet.

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Aren't your ovens (and thus cooking recipes) marked in degrees Fahrenheit? Also according to Wikipedia (which we know is always 100% correct), in Canada fruit and vegetables are sold by the pound, railroad distances are in miles, birth weight of newborn babies is announced in pounds and ounces, and the sizes of houses, condos, and apartments (and thus also carpeting and floor tile) are measured in square feet.
    I don't know about railroad distances but yes, babies' weight is usually still expressed in pounds; floor areas are also generally measured in square feet although the length of a wall might be stated in meters. Floor tiles, vinyl etc. are like plywood, length and width in feet/inches and thickness in mm.

Recipes and temperatures are usually expressed both ways; fruits and vegetables can be either way but most often advertised and marked in pounds for the lower price while you'll be charged in kilos at the checkout.

Not quite as confusing as it sounds, but you do have to pay attention when shopping at the supermarket.

m

Blog Entries

Don't forget the radar mile. It's 6,000 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    ...fruits and vegetables can be either way but most often advertised and marked in pounds for the lower price while you'll be charged in kilos at the checkout.

Not quite as confusing as it sounds, but you do have to pay attention when shopping at the supermarket.
    Fruits & vegetables notwithstanding, you always have to pay attention when shopping at the supermarket.

There's all kinds of little pricing incongruities and some barely perceivable bait & switch scams going on in supermarkets that most people miss. And then there's the scanning errors at the checkout. You need to keep your eye out for those especially since most stores have a policy where if their scanners overcharge for an item you get it FREE! But, of course, you have to catch it.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

( radar mile )
    I had to look that up. One place said it was 10.8 milliseconds but most agree it is about 10.8 us. Just for curiosity I ran the calculation and using the speed of light in a vacuum I got 10.736 us to 3 places.
    Dwight

The current speed of light? Or one from the past?

The "scientific consensus" still maintains that measurements were just terribly inaccurate in the past and keep getting better and better but I have much more faith in the people measuring in the past than that.
    Be polite and I may let you live.