Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Commander 1 on my 386

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Why did you inject the XT into a discussion of your 386 issue??? I fail to see any relevance whatsoever.
    Because memtest86+ didn't work on the 386 or the XT-turbo, but did on my Pentium 120.
    PCjr, PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 400, various old laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The title of the thread was "Wing Commander 1 on my 386", so we recommended a 386 memory testing tool. Also, you ran it on every computer except the one you're having trouble with. What does it do when you run it on your 386

Don't remove memory until you verify memory is the problem. As for SIMMs going "straight down", that's what SIPPs do, not SIMMs. Does your memory have little pins, or is it a regular edge like all memory? If it's pins, those are SIPPs, and you just pull them out. If they're SIMMs, then there should be little tabs on each side that let them out at an angle.
    I did run it on the 386, it reboots the computer.

Too late on the ram, I managed to remove it. They are 30 pin SIMMs, but pull straight up. I have never seem this before. The contact areas looked clean, but I gently rubbed them with an eraser to be sure. Re-installed in different order. Memtest still didn't work. I decided to try re-installing. Wing Commander booted up, but locked up later. Hmmm. Don't have a CD-ROM installed yet, but do have a CF reader. Copied the files I had installed from CD onto my Pentium and now the game runs fine. So it was apparently just that the diskette version I bought has errors.

Thanks for trying to help. Now I need to read the manual. I promptly died.
    PCjr, PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 400, various old laptops

Got through the first mission once. Tried it again and ran into an asteroid on my approach to the Tigerclaw. Now I remember much I hated dodging rocks when I first played these games. It's still a fun game, but my 60+ year old reflexes make it difficult.

Made it through the first two missions. Found online that you can shoot the rocks. Going slow (150-200) and shooting any rock that is straight ahead helps a lot.