Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting an organ transplant

Red face Getting an organ transplant

My wife and I just finished extracting the Wurlitzer from my studio in preparation for the Hammond Concorde which I intend to acquire tomorrow.

The Concorde is not exactly a highly desirable Hammond, but it's got to be better than this minimally transistorised Wurlitzer that almost sounds as good as an early 1980s video arcade console.

As much as I hate to part with this thing, I really think I'm better off with the Concorde than trying to modify the Wurlitzer like I've always intended.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Blog Entries

What model Wurlitzer? A lot of he old Wurlis, say, from the 40-50s (e.g. electrostatic reed) were pretty interesting. 60s-70s, transistor, not so much. The 60's large tube models always sounded a bit "off" to me wrt tuning--almost meantone but not quite.

But it all depends on the music you're interested in.

I don't think the model number, or any other information is anywhere on this one. Well, it has a Wurlitzer decal on the front, has a sticker saying 117V or the likes, and the words TONE CABINET on the obligatory octal socket.

It is a 60s to early 70s I suspect vintage. It has TO-11(?) transistors in it. It sounds very much like a sickly sawtooth wave at best. It could probably use a lot of new components to make it sound acceptable. The 16' rank of the upper manual is mute, and the high C pedal has a missing strut. I think I already found a home for it. If not it'll likely end up at St Paul de Vincent.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; November 9th, 2017 at 08:27 PM.

The sad thing is that I'm still not going to have any time to play it, and it's been thirty years since I had an organ repertoire and could just sit down and play.

Blog Entries

I know how that goes. What time to make music that I have is occupied by brass quintet. I've got a double bass and harpsichord sitting in my living room that haven't been touched in many months. I've pretty much given up on learning to play viola--arthritis is getting to my fingers.

Am I the only one who came here expecting to see you ask for a kidney?
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

I should think you'd need a hernia surgery after that, not a transplant.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Yeah, those '70s transistor organs are hit-and-miss at best. We had one donated to our church and the damn thing went belly-up within two months; the only upside was they let me steal the rhythm board and spring reverb tank out of it for eventual DIY fun.

I do miss having a proper tonewheel Hammond around. If I weren't probably going to move in a year I'd love to pick one up again. For now, I'll content myself with my more portable keyboards and basses...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Oh! For the space for a harpsichord! Of course, if I had that kind of space, which arguably I do if I didn't have two organs, I'd have to get a baby grand first. But I sure would like a harpsichord. It's been 35 years since I played one, but it was probably 350 years old. That was at the Shattuck Music Center. I often think about seeing if they ever have open houses just so I could see if they still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Yeah, those '70s transistor organs are hit-and-miss at best.
    I've been part owner of far too many. Some of them if they are in good electrical condition can sound moderately tolerable, especially with a Leslie. But the vast majority sound just embarrassing.

I shouldn't complain. I've not yet ever paid anything for an organ. (Except some chord organs I had in the 80s that I can't even figure out what happened to them.) The Wurlitzer that I'm getting rid of, and the Lowrey Lincolnwood SS that isn't going anywhere, were both curbside rescues. The Hammond that I'm getting is free. The owner is going to put it in a dumpster if I don't go pick it up. I've thought about giving him something for it. In good shape I think he could sell it for a couple hundred dollars if he really wanted to.