Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: good text editor for DOS

The editor that comes with MS C 6.0A is OK and can probably be massaged to run TASM instead of MASM.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    If it's simple you're after, you might also consider Dave Dunfield's DDSIDE that he supplied with his Micro-C package.
    Thanks. Let me try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdderSF View Post
    I use "MS-DOS Editor" (edit.com) that comes right along with DOS. Always have, always will. I even use it to hand-code my websites, making sure to include its name in the "generator" tag of the HTML.
    One of the good things about MS-DOS editor is that it handles both Windows and Linux line breaks just fine. Too bad Microsoft never updates it to support long file names and removes it in 64-bit of Windows.

I still can't get used to Vim and Emacs. Too counter-intuitive for me - it's easy to get confused between command mode and edit mode. On Linux/Unix, my favorite editor is still Nano If there's a need to make complicated changes, I download the file to my computer, edit using a modern GUI editor, and upload it back

MS-DOS Editor 2.0 (shipped with Windows 95 and onward) supports long filenames. You will need a LFN driver if you are using an older version of DOS.

NTVDM doesn't (and can't) exist in 64-bit Windows, so that's why it's removed.

Quote Originally Posted by mdanh2002 View Post
    I still can't get used to Vim and Emacs. Too counter-intuitive for me - it's easy to get confused between command mode and edit mode. On Linux/Unix, my favorite editor is still Nano If there's a need to make complicated changes, I download the file to my computer, edit using a modern GUI editor, and upload it back
    vi and emacs make more sense when you use them on a terminal that has no function keys, no cursor movement keys, and no numeric keypad. Try to imagine making an editor for a video terminal that has only typewriter keys plus an Enter key, a Control key and an Escape key. Those are the design constraints that vi and emacs had to work within.

Quote Originally Posted by mdanh2002 View Post
    One of the good things about MS-DOS editor is that it handles both Windows and Linux line breaks just fine. Too bad Microsoft never updates it to support long file names and removes it in 64-bit of Windows.
    I use vDosPlus on my 64-bit Windows to run MS-DOS Editor. It's more convenient than using DOSBox.
    WANTED: 8-bit Pro Audio Spectrum (not PAS-16), Covox Sound Master, IBM 3D Sound PCMCIA
    Please contact me if you have any of these for sale!! Thanks.

I agree that it's very nice and has a much better default font than DOSBox but I don't see it being any more convenient. I use ProGammaX as a DOSBox frontend and it makes everything a one click operation which is about convenient as it gets.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.