Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corvette SCSI and the 50 pin edge connector

Default Corvette SCSI and the 50 pin edge connector

I have a Fast/Wide SCSI card with me that I would like to use. But does anyone know what kind of cable is used for 50 pin drives? It seems to be a female edge style connector with a notch to ensure correct placement, ala the classic 34 pin drive cable design pioneered by companies such as Shugart before 3.5 drives took over and introduced us to pins.

The only problem is that whatever I try to find-- doesn't seem to really exist on the internet. Anyone have any ideas?
    Join your local penny pincher movement today!

How long of a 50 Pin Cable do you need and how many Connectors do you need on it?

Blog Entries

Search for SCSI 50 pin internal cable. A few places still have them on offer - $20 for a 4 foot cable with 6 drive connectors. Double check that IBM didn't use one of the more compact variants on the 50 pin.

External cables will be a problem since there are so many different connectors: 50 pin big, 50 pin compact, centronic 50 pin, and the evil Apple design which used the 25 pin connector seen in the IBM PC parallel port. Higher performance SCSI had a similar set of 68 and 80 pin external connectors. You may need 20 different cables in order to connect any SCSI device with another SCSI device and the controller.

Blog Entries

Well, on the IBM Fast/Wide card, you may be better off using the SCA connection, rather than the edge connector--I suspect cables for the edge will be difficult to find.

About 20-25 inches long. Two connectors (one for an SCSI hard disk, and one perhaps for a nice SCSI floppy drive, either one using my TEAC FC-01 board, or one of those cheap ones off of eBay.)

EDIT: Also realized, crap! The Corvette is incompatible with the IBM PS/2 on models 80 and earlier. Luckily, I have a chance for me to swipe a late model MCA SCSI-1 card, but this means that I only can resort to the 50 pin edge connector, as the SCSI-1 card lacks an internal Cetronics style 68 pin connector.
    Last edited by Kazblox; November 11th, 2017 at 09:12 PM.

I've got a New Cable like that 50 Pin, 3 Connectors with the Alignment Tab, about 21.5" Long, 7" between the 2 Closest Connectors 14" between the Middle and End Connector. I've got a few other Used Cables a little longer.

P.S. I've also got a pretty good supply of Terminators if anyone is looking.

Oh I forgot, I've also got a Procom Technology, Inc. MC SCSI Enabler BA0046 Rev. B V5785-2692 available if anyone needs one.
    Last edited by Syclops; November 11th, 2017 at 09:35 PM.

Yay! Any pictures? I'll gladly continue this offer into PM when I am thinking about it.

Next problem to solve on my list: power. Nowhere to supply a 5V/12V source except for soldering off existing contacts.

I've also got a Used Cable that is 50 Pin, 6 Connectors with the Alignment Tab, about 48" Long with about 9" between each of the Connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    Yay! Any pictures? I'll gladly continue this offer into PM when I am thinking about it.

Next problem to solve on my list: power. Nowhere to supply a 5V/12V source except for soldering off existing contacts.
    PM sent.

Hi, unfortunately from what I see in your picture, those are standard 50 pin SCSI cables.

I'm looking for cables with these on the end: http://www.cs-electronics.com/wp-con...5/03/CE501.jpg